Florida!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
September 20th 2015
Published: September 21st 2015
Edit Blog Post

We are in the sunshine state and nearing our destination. Barring any weather issues, we should be there in a couple of weeks.

We crossed Mobile BY in record time after the Captain put the boat on plane and we cruised at 17 mikes an hour. She was scooting along on top of the chop when the wind picked up.

I already miss the quiet rivers. The traffic is much as I remembered with speed boats waking us and large cruisers threatening to swamp us. One inconsiderate boater with a fast cruiser and a boat babe on the bow passed us, a pontoon boat and a small fishing boat at full speed in a narrow channel, he sent everyone flying. His wake picked up a boat that was anchored off the beach and put them up on land. He never noticed he just kept going. It was Sunday so the boat traffic was especially high. The south wind added to the churned up choppy water. Special Treat was able to show us how she handles herself. The wind was on our beam yet the motion was much better than poor little North Star.

We are crossing large bays and sounds even if we are on the Intracoastal waterway. This of course is a very built up area with large cities and towns with populated beach areas. Barrier islands with sand dunes separate us from the wide open Gulf of Mexico. When we pass narrower sections we are looking at huge mansions with manicured lawns, all types of palm trees and impressive landscaped yards.

We travelled 102 miles to reach the free town dock in Fort Walton Beach. Just enough time to change the oil and have supper before dark. We spent several days here on our last trip so off we go early tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.056s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb