Holiday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
August 28th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sponge DiverSponge DiverSponge Diver

Bronze god?

The place



Holiday is just outside Tarpon Springs which is near to Tampa. Our current residence is 1140 Lodestar Drive but we'll be moving on on Wednesday as we need to be in Miami by Friday night as we are flying back to New York.

Tarpon Springs is an intresting place as it was populated by Greek sponge divers and even though it's a bit of a tourist trap it still has a certain charm. We eat at a lovely place called Rusty Bellies. It's so cheap to eat out because of the strength of the pound we've eaten out most nights, we also had a barbecue by the pool. The place I liked called Cody's was a typical old fashioned restaurant with peanuts in their shells, when you had finished with the shells you just dropped them on the floor! The kids found it difficult but soon got the hang of it. The best 16 oz T-bone steak I think I've ever had was about £7.

The local beach, about a 10 minute drive is at Fred Howard Park - there is a superb causeway and beach at the end of it which you can
Sand StormSand StormSand Storm

Only fools on the beach
clearly see using Google Earth. Matthew calls it the Wee beach as the water was brown the first day we went but it's a lovely place with a nature reserve and shelters. We've swum, fished (even caught some), snorkelled and been sand blasted (see picture). The water is teeming with fish, crabs, clams and other goodies.

Just about up-to-date - tomorrow we either go to Busch Gardens or Weeki Wachee Spring - can't wait!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Nice diveNice dive
Nice dive

On your head son
Long beakLong beak
Long beak

Funny looking bird in Fred Howard Park
Cody'sCody's
Cody's

On the floor once you've finished with it
DolpinDolpin
Dolpin

Look closely and you can see a fin in our river
Honest guv it was over a foot longHonest guv it was over a foot long
Honest guv it was over a foot long

We caught 4 of these on Sunday the 27th. The biggest argument was over what they should be called. They were safely returned to the wild!


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb