Seeing the USA in our RV


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
June 25th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday morning, 22 June, and we pulled out of our Florida driveway on the road to Calgary, Canada. It was hot already in the Sunshine State but with both the coach A/C on (supplied by the generator) and its RV driver's A/C we were comfortable. Traffic was reasonable until we reached Gainsville, naturally, but we pulled in to Ft Rucker, AL's RV park and enjoyed a great evening among the trees.
Underway the next day we enjoyed the hills and green landscape of 'Bama and into
Tennessee, crossing over the border into Ft Campbell,KY’s RV park. Again the camp hosts were excellent and friendly and steered us to the largest PX in the Army. Of course getting around the base is a challenge for us Navy types but it was great to mingle with the young soldiers defending our country.
Off again the next day we discovered Missouri's State Parks with a great park at Graham Cave St. Pk. and saw a well preserved natural cave.
Our fourth day we discovered that AAA's Trip Routing Service is not so swift. One of our worries was to avoid flooding as we struck out across the land and our request was to be routed accordingly. Well, I 29 in Missouri began to show signs of high water in the fields and streams and both the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers were quite high. To avoid construction in Independence, we made a quick diversion to the Harry Truman National Historic site where Mary visited the farmer's market for some fresh veggies.
Returning to the highway, shortly electronic warnings steered us away from I 29 flooding closures in northwest Missouri and SE Iowa. Taking side road detours we crossed over into Nebraska at I 80 with few alternatives and found ourselves going southwest. Stopping for the night in a well appointed commercial campground in Greenwood, along I 80, we “recalculated” our GPS for our new routing through Cheyenne to avoid further high water.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0721s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb