Thirty in Tampa Bay Day 3 & 4: Tourist Traps


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
April 14th 2008
Published: March 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Orange White Tigers 68 secs
Sunken GardensSunken GardensSunken Gardens

Flowers. Don't ask what kind.
Before starting on the busy couple days we had, some more info on our little bed and breakfast in Gulfport, the Sea Breeze Manor. When it comes to B&Bs, you win some and you lose some. This one we lost. I tried to like it, I really did but it is old and crusty, the carpets were dirty, the breakfast okay, the common areas dingy. A lot of old people stay here which is pretty much what Tampa Bay is all about and they probably can't tell what a lousy place this is. The lady who owns it is quite nice, she used to work for Bush 1 I think and took an early retirement to do this. She looked at us a bit crossly when we came in because I don't think we fit the typical profile for who comes there. Gulfport itself is a very interesting town and there is actually a hotel a little further up the main street called The Peninsula Inn and Spa which seemed much nicer and we even went inside to check out and didn't look too bad. The reality about hotels in Clearwater, St. Pete and Tampa area is that they cater to tourists and they are all garbage.
Wedding ClearingWedding ClearingWedding Clearing

People get married here, why not.
Maybe, maybe the Don CeSar is okay but even that is operated by Interstate Hotels at my last check which does not give it high marks right off the bat.

Shopping and Sunken Gardens


We visited a few malls which is the new pass time since it is in the job description now but it worked out well for Jennifer who picked up a new pair of Skechers using the coupons I had received from the head of real estate in California.


More Shopping and Big Cat Rescue


How could one of our trips ever ever be complete without a visit to the zoo or gratuitous photographs of cats? We opted for the last since we had already been to Tampa Zoo back in the day and the idea of a place that is a palace for cats could not be passed up. Big Cat Rescue is a great place, one of the few cat sanctuaries in the world of this size, however they are all about the cats and they have hours that are nothing short of a pain in the ass - you have been forewarned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

It's OfficialIt's Official
It's Official

We were there.
Florida PantherFlorida Panther
Florida Panther

You are not.
Pink FlamingosPink Flamingos
Pink Flamingos

The real deal, not the lawn ornaments.
OcelotOcelot
Ocelot

Was going somewhere in a hurry no doubt.
Florida PantherFlorida Panther
Florida Panther

Or Cougar is more appropriate. At Big Cat Rescue.
TigerTiger
Tiger

Can't remember his name but a good poser. He had an old christmas tree in there that he used as a scratching post.
Happy TigerHappy Tiger
Happy Tiger

As close as we could get to any of the cats.
EscapeeEscapee
Escapee

This one ran out of its cage somehow. The guardians were very protective of this one, we were not to coo at it or any of the big cats or they would be "offended".
Bailey!Bailey!
Bailey!

Not a black panther but a dark dark brown leopard, in the sunlight you could see the true colorings and spots.
Jealous PeacocksJealous Peacocks
Jealous Peacocks

We really think this guy was upset on the account of all the attention the big cats were getting.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb