Tampa Bay Valentine's Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Tampa
February 15th 2007
Published: February 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Valentine's Day, we spent the night on the Sunshine Skyway Bridge about a mile out into Tampa Bay. The pier is the old bridge, obsoleted when the new I 275 Bridge was built. Great re-use as a State Park and Fishing Bridge! The sunset was gorgeous, the warf is lighted and there is round the clock security. We paid $1 for the bridge toll and $13.85 (senior citizen fee) for the pass that allowed us to be on the bridge over night. We opened up some super market California rolls, made a salad, uncorked some wine, grilled a steak, sliced some of Kilwin's wonderful fudge, and played backgammon and a little chess. A memorable Valentine's Day.
Earlier in the day we tried to find the Arts Village in Bradenton and clipped a curb on a narrow turn. We parked in front of the library across from Twin Dolphns Marina (where we had stayed on the France's boat a few years ago). We walked to 12th St., passing the entrance to the restaurant at Twin Dolphins Marina and into down town. We passed Robin's where we had had a great breakfast with the France's and had lunch at Fisherman Joe's (across from the Lost Kangaroo Pub where we had a blast a few years ago). We got directions to the Arts Village; but as it turned out, we never used them. When we got back from lunch, Wes noticed that The Schooner had a flat tire. Several calls - AAA, Good Sam's Club (which is a misnommer), a tire shop, etc. resulted in success. In a few hours (during which we set up our chairs and read in the sun shine), "Johnny" arrived with his wonderful mobile tire service unit. Then, we headed for Anna Maria Island, another Gulf barrier island. It connects by road to Longboat Key. We were a bit pressed for time, but the beach looked great and the housing stock seemed nice but not too fancy.
Thursday was cloudy, so we didn't feel like we were missing a major beach day as we headed for Cocoa Beach, next on our itinerary.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bonita in the PailsBonita in the Pails
Bonita in the Pails

See what our neighbors on the fishing bridge caught.
Bocce at Sun N FunBocce at Sun N Fun
Bocce at Sun N Fun

This was our view out the window of the RV.


Tot: 0.55s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 28; qc: 116; dbt: 0.2311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb