Space Shuttle Launch and More Cocoa Beach, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Cape Canaveral
February 18th 2007
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Schooner is "docked" at Forest Village RV Park near Cocoa Beach. We met the Vanderwerkers and Tom and Cheryl Rimmer and had a great seafood meal at Grills Seafood Deck at Sunrise Marina, Port Canaveral. Drinks and snacks prior at Joe and LJ's condo at Cape Canaveral Beach. Great spot. The Rimmers are on to St. Thomas VI in the morning where they will be sailing with friends for a week or so - can hardly wait to hear about their adventure. It is something we would LOVE to do. On Friday we drove to a very colorful, vintage Pier in Cocoa Beach. The sand near the water's edge is very firm and good for walking. We spotted the rocket that NASA was to launch that night from the pier. Then on to Jetty Park, a wonderful fishing pier and beach run by the county. $5 admission for non-residents. It has a camping area, some sites with full hook ups. No vacancies the day we drove through; mostly because the Datona 500 is on Sunday (Joe V. and Tom R. enjoyed tix to qualifiers on Thursday) and because of the scheduled NASA launch that evening. Cars and people with chairs, blankets, high powered binocculars, and video and digital cameras were streaming into the parking lot. We later learned (after installing ourselves on the wild and windy beach) that the launch was scrubbed until the next night (Saturday) at 6. We had dinner at Rusty's Seafood & Oyster Bar, Port Canaveral - yummy steamed seafood platter big enough to share - also tried Alligator bites - rather chewey! We played golf (18 holes) with the Vanderwerkers at Sam's on Route 1. Hurried back to Vanders for the Space Shuttle Launch. The Boeing Delta 2 rocket was launched to study Aurora Boreales and other phenonmenon of the Earth's magnetosphere. It was a real thrill to watch this from the beach. Very, very cool! We celebrated the launch at the Sunset Waterfront with great seafood and some cool, live reggae / island style music. Sunday was one of those days that turns out to exceed expectations. Because it was cold and not beach weather, we signed up for the world's largest casino boat - run by Sterling Casino Lines. This is one of those boats we have spotted at night - lighted up like a white Christmas tree and running parallel to the shore just beyond the three mile limit. We took a day cruise - free admission, free parking, free entertainment, free buffet, and free drinks. It really turned out to be fun; while it did serve to remind us of how easily taken in people might be in this setting. We teased the day away winning small amounts and having fun gaming - more or less within our limits. We went on to watch the end of the Datona 500 (on TV) and then went out for an amazing "Feast for Four" at Kay's Bar-B-Que, 1552 West King Street, Cocoa Beach. It had been recommended by the owners of our RV Park. It was so modest looking that we had a bit of second thoughts, that is until we caught the yummy aroma of smoking meat. Our platter had chicken, ribs, pork, turkey, beef, garlic bread, sweet and white potatoes, incredible baked beans, and corn; generously serving the four of us for $35. Foodies; don't miss this feed!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cape Canaveral BeachCape Canaveral Beach
Cape Canaveral Beach

This is the great beach in front of Vanderwerker's condo - wonderful!
Sterling CasinoSterling Casino
Sterling Casino

After I took this picture, I was informed that photos are not permitted in the Casino.


19th February 2007

Hi: glad to hear you are having a great time on this years trip. Jack and I did a gasperella parade cruise in Jan. It was a great trip and something I know you would enjoy. It is a little like october fest. Let us know if you are going to be in our area next year and we can show you another great Florida party. have a safe fun trip and thank you for sending your pictures.
19th February 2007

Great blog! We were thinking of doing the Sterling Casino cruise but I didn't know if there was a catch, is there really free everything? Might be worth a look into on our way back up the coast. Glad to see you are back on the road.
20th February 2007

Sterling Cruise
Hey Snazzy - yes, all free; but it's good form to tip the cocktail servers! The only catch is that you don't get too caught up in the gambling! We took time out to eat, people watch, sun ourselves on the aft deck, and we brought books along.

Tot: 0.423s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 125; dbt: 0.1456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb