Another Day of Waiting


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Panama City
October 25th 2011
Published: October 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Up early, some lines release and checking the oil before we cast off. Well the oil was fine but Cap’t Rog found water under the engine. Further inspection revealed a hairline crack in some welded joint in an elbow. So, the hunt began. Where to get a marine welder?5 or 6 phone calls later, we waited for call backs. Shouldn’t have been a big deal, except we brought minimal tools and sure enough, not the perfect one. A fellow boater loaned a few and offered some magic marine metal putty. Reluctantly Rog gave it a try. One welder showed up and indicated he could weld the issue, if Rog got the elbow out and brought it to him in the parking lot. After a real struggle out came the elbow, but the welder couldn’t do it with his equipment. Elbow got sent off to a “bigger hospital” and was returned fixed in about 4 hours.

Too late to take off, so showers and a decision to go to the Hawg Salon for oysters, gumbo and chili. These were the best oysters I’ve ever had and the gumbo was great. Rog enjoyed his meaty chili and some cold ones. With no cable at this marina, we settled on some reading and listening of books. I’m addicted to downloading books from the library and playing them on my Droid (it leaves my hands free for other things).
If all goes well, we’ll head south by 8am. We are pretty convinced that we’ll be forced to wait “Rina” out in Carabelle rather than cross the Gulf under her cloud. Not a big deal; we’re used to waiting and in no rush to get to the work that awaits us in Punta Gorda.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



27th October 2011

Thanks Mary for keeping us updated-great stories and pictures! Fun traveling with you! You're on my prayer list with this storm-good luck.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb