The Whole World in One Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando » Disney World
August 7th 2008
Published: November 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The monorail into EPCOTThe monorail into EPCOTThe monorail into EPCOT

The monorail and golfball as you enter
It was back to Disney World again, this time to EPCOT. This stands for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow, although there didn’t seem to be a lot of that in the park. Parts of it did have a bit of a futuristic theme to it, but then they also have the Tomorrow Land in the Magic Kingdom (see Sugar Coating and Pixie Dust).

Mission Space was an excellent simulation ride. It had an orange level for harder amongst you, like those of us who had done a proper take-off simulator at the Kennedy Space Center (see The Best Theme Park in Florida), and a green level for the lightweight scaredy-cats. Soarin’ was an excellent ride with a large screen making you feel that you were flying over various places. The sudden transitions from one place to another spoilt it a bit. The Test Track was rubbish – basically just some cars that went quite fast along a certain piece of track after they had undergone some so called testing.

Much of this park is taken up with the World Showcase, which consists of a number of different areas each themed as a particular country and each staffed by people from that country. These included England, France, America, Mexico,
GolfballGolfballGolfball

The golfball again and some fountains
Norway, China, Japan, Germany and Morocco. England featured a pub of course. It’s not (quite) as tacky as it might sound, although some countries were more convincing than others.

Britain was of course complete with the pub that served pints and fish-and-chips and needless to say there was a red telephone box outside. It’s nice to know what our contribution to western civilisation has been.

Afterwards, we stopped at a Nike Outlet Shop for some trainers and other sporting clothes that were a fraction of the price that they are in the UK. Overpricing – our other contribution to western civilisation.

A Chinese take-away also went down very well once we got back to the villa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

EnglandEngland
England

You could almost hear a game of cricket
ItalyItaly
Italy

St Marks Square in Venice


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb