Friends and Family on a Southern swing, Pt 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange Park
September 16th 2011
Published: October 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

We took US 82 across GA because it is quiet, fast and not busy. There are many place to get gas and food. Much better than Interstates.

First "meal" in the RVFirst "meal" in the RVFirst "meal" in the RV

Yep, bribed him with donuts. Hey, I'll do what it takes to get on his good side.
After a restful night in the county park in Albany, we got an early start heading towards Jacksonville to see the kids. We took US 82 across GA and it is a wonderful fast, easy road with a few small towns but good fuel and food opportunities. It's 4 lane in many spots and much better and easier on the nerves (and gas mileage) than an interstate.

We noticed we kept hitting bugs and soon the windshield was getting spotted. Turns out is was Love-Bug mating season (No, not the VWs, little bugs like fireflies) and they were everywhere. Turns out the female is the larger and the male "attaches" himself but is facing backward. Then in a fit of passion (?) or something, the female takes off, pulling the poor male along. If he flaps his wings, he will "disconnect" so he just goes along for the ride. When the poor pair runs into the windshield, they kind of flap and you watch the female trying to get unstuck (apparently from both the windshield and the partner.) Saw many a poor male suddenly free just zip off the side of the window. Of course, if the female perishes upon
Drew with cat in RVDrew with cat in RVDrew with cat in RV

Once he finally got in the RV, he discovered the cats and the big high bed. And LOTS of windows to look out.
impact and the male survives, then you have another scene of the poor little guy literally fighting for freedom. Makes for an interesting drive. Had to stop twice before we got to Josh's to clean the windshield enough so we could see. When we got in, we learned that these little bugs create a real stain and are hard to get off. Spent quite a bit of time finding something to clean the fiberglass front and the windows.

We pulled in and as we were setting up both cats were glad to be there and jumped out and checked out the property as soon as we opened the door. Drew came out to see the "bus" in his driveway. All big vehicles like ours are buses, apparently, and he gets very excited when he sees a yellow school bus. Drew was hesitant to come in at first so we didn't force the issue. We were glad to let him warm up to us at his speed. This was the 3rd time this year we had been down and each time he gets a little more accustomed to us and each time we see great changes in his abilities and
Do NOT disturb the sleeping GrandmaDo NOT disturb the sleeping GrandmaDo NOT disturb the sleeping Grandma

Delighted to be in the RV, Drew headed for the bedroom then paused. Grandma was taking a nap and then she snored. RUN!!
growth. But we are patient and will let him come to us rather than force the issue and have him hesitant or even afraid.

The first morning we were having a light breakfast in the coach and Josh and Drew came out the door. We had the door open to the coach and invited Drew in. Nope. Shook his head no. So I asked him if he would like a donut. OK, change of heart. He clambered up the steps, climbed up on the dinette seat and proceeded to share a donut with me. Once in, took a bite and started down. I showed him there was more. He came back. Eventually he finally grabbed the last bite and hustled back down the steps. But he had transitioned in to the coach.

We had fun with Drew exploring the backyard, watching him play with his toys, and finally having him bring us books to read. (Drew LOVES to be read to. He can read 2-3 books a night before bedtime.) He was very surprised to hear both Trish and I read to him and have animal voices and character voices. (Trish does a much better Elmo than I
Feeding the giraffeFeeding the giraffeFeeding the giraffe

Eat your hearts out, Aunt Kim and Auntie Kim! We held out lettuce leaves and the long black tongue just swooped it up. "I want a Clark Bar!"
do.)

At dinner time, we all sat at the table with him and watched him and then we also ate. I think he was pleased that everyone was sharing dinner with him. He was usually very well behaved and when inappropriate, he was quickly chastised by one of his parents.

Sunday we got him into the coach again, this time we bribed him with a cookie. Hmmm, seems to work. And this time he discovered we had cats IN the big bus. He went back to climb on the bed and gently pet Domino, the large male cat. He was careful and Domino was patient (though wary.) Drew even lay down on the bed and we promised that as soon as he was potty trained, he could go for a camping trip with us.

Jen took off work on Monday so we could all go to the zoo. Drew loves the zoo (so do we) and we had fun watching him look at the animals. All right, we took pictures, but so did Josh. In fact, Josh has a whole blog with pictures. So I'm only posting a few here. But if you go to: http://babykinley.blogspot.com/ you
Feed the birds, tupence a bagFeed the birds, tupence a bagFeed the birds, tupence a bag

Glad Carla wasn't here! Trish held out sugar water and the birds flocked to her arm. Drew almost tried it but backed off at the last moment.
will see LOTS of pictures of our visit with Drew and family. And Josh has much better pictures than we do. Check it it!

Jen went to work on Tuesday and we went to the beach with Drew. Trish sat in back with Drew and they pointed out big trucks to each other and got excited when an airplane went overhead. Grandma and Drew had lot's of fun discussing traffic on the ride over. Josh had discovered part of the State Department of Natural Resources beaches that were not as crowded as others we had been to. In fact, we were the only ones on the beach! We all went in the water and got wet, but Drew had the most fun playing in the sand and running on the beach. By the time we left, the little guy was tuckered out and fell asleep.

Next day we helped Josh with some projects. He had a door that needed replaced inside (see his blog referenced earlier for the whole story) and a gutter I had helped put up a number of years ago needed repair. After a trip to Home Depot, with tools and equipment, we came back
Reading his booksReading his booksReading his books

Drew loves to read and we read every night and sometimes in the afternoon.
and replaced the door and repaired the gutter. Proof of the gutter repair came a few days later when we had a good rain, and it now longer leaked and created a waterfall in the middle of the drive.

We went to James' house to see his place one day and we were going to go to the pool, but it started to rain and the pool closed. That was disappointing, but it was good to see James, his apartment, and his kids. We were sorry we couldn't spend more time. But the next day....we did! On Friday we got up early and went to a playground with a discovery park that Drew liked. James met us with his kids and it was fun to watch the children interplay, and have fun. Drew went up the slide and quickly came hustling down. He loved to swing and pouted when Josh would take him off. After playing, we all went across the street to Dairy Queen for lunch and Drew ate chicken fingers and french fries (dipped in ketchup) and drank his milk. Again, all the fun, friends and food had him ready for his nap when we got home.
At the parkAt the parkAt the park

We had fun at a local park on Friday. Drew scooted down slides, ran up steps to get to the top, and loved to swing. Here are 3 generations of Kinley men.


Saturday morning Josh and Jen were going out to yard sales so we said good bye (and good buy) and packed up the coach to head south. It was a great visit with our kids and really fun to see how much Drew has changed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Singin' in the rainSingin' in the rain
Singin' in the rain

An afternoon shower and Drew ran out and stood under the downpour from the corner of the roof. Then he would run the the RV and under the awning and back. He carried a little musical box and sang and danced and was oh, so happy and carefree.


Tot: 0.249s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0714s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb