Taking a break in Florida


Advertisement
Published: July 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Turtle DrewTurtle DrewTurtle Drew

This suit keeps him from getting too much sun. And it is so cute!
EDITORIAL NOTE: I started this blog in early June when we got back from Florida. However, we have 2 A/Cs for the hours--one for downstairs and one for up. The upstairs had been having fits and finally crapped out. So working on this on the computer was difficult. The temperature upstairs in the den was mid-80s by 9am and up to 90 by 11am. I tried to work through including putting away books and files, but it was too much. So this story is a bit late and unfortunately, due to advanced age, I've forgotten a lot of the details. The most important thing is: Drew is growing and we had a great time as a family (sans Kris) with our kids. Good news is, A/C should be fixed in a few weeks, once parts come in. Home warranty policy is covering most of the cost.

We needed a break from unpacking. We had hustled to get into the house and our bed, find a table to eat at, and start putting things away. Now it was time for fun. Josh had a week of in June and we had promised him we would come back down and spend time.
Daddy and DrewDaddy and DrewDaddy and Drew

Drew is not afraid of the water...as long as Daddy is there to help.
Then we got the word that daughter Kim had managed to arrange for a conference to attend in Orlando at the same time and would take some vacation time so we could all be together.
We left Crossville and traveled around Birmingham and Montgomery towards Troy. There was a nice campground there that had a hot tub and very level sites (note the priorities) and we figured to relax and soak the aches away. I failed to call for reservations, but they were not busy so we got in. I asked for a site near the bathhouse and hot tub. "I'm so sorry," said the nice lady at check in, "but they were having problems with the hot tub so pulled it out last fall." DARN. The big reason to go miles out of our way and spend extra on the campsite and gas. Well, the pool was open, reasonably warm, and no one else in, so we got to swim and relax in that.

Next day we traveled across southern AL and GA to Valdosta then south to I-10 and on to Josh. Josh, Jen and Drew were not in because Drew had to go to the doctor's
Mommy and DrewMommy and DrewMommy and Drew

Drew likes to play with mommy in the water too. Both parents encourage him to enjoy and have fun.
for a visit but they arrived soon after. Drew has certainly grown and is quite independent. His motor skill improve daily and he runs and walks everywhere. He warmed up to us a bit and was fascinated by the "bus" in his driveway. That was fun to go in (as long as Daddy was along).

On Wednesday, Trish and I drove to Orlando to pick up Kim after her conference and brought her back to Jacksonville. What fun we all had together!! Thursday Josh and Jen had to work and Drew wasn't THAT comfortable with us, so he went to the sitter. Trish, Kim and I all went to the beach and enjoyed the ocean. The water was warm enough to swim and play in the surf and we made the most of it. We had to take our Toyota to an RV dealer because the electric plug on the front the provides lights for towing had broken. It was made of cheap plastic (imagine, Blue Ox providing cheap parts from China) and after a new metal part and $100, it got fixed. We picked it up on the way home.

The weekend was a whirl. We went
Drew, Daddy, MommyDrew, Daddy, MommyDrew, Daddy, Mommy

All three enjoy the beach. They are lucky to be so close and enjoy taking Drew to play.
to St Augustine and spent time at a beach with everyone (see the pix) and walked the town. Josh grilled out one night and we had luscious salmon with basil and lemon and grilled asparagus, and a funky pizza one night with pasta. Finally, on Sunday, Kim flew back to WV. It was great to have the whole family (minus Kris) together for a bit. Drew opened up and really played with Auntie Kim. He let both Trish and I hold him some and even read to him. But he clearly wasn't ready to stay alone with us.

The pictures here in the blog are only some of the ones taken. Josh got some great shots and posted them at his blog at: http://babykinley.blogspot.com/2011_06_01_archive.html
If you want to see more, put the address in your computer and you can see good shots of Kim and Drew and Drew in our RV.

The day before we left, Josh took Trish and I to downtown Jacksonville and we had a great time looking at the shops, having lunch, and seeing the city Josh has worked in and lived near for 12 years.

When we left, we drove north to
James Mraz and FamilyJames Mraz and FamilyJames Mraz and Family

James, his kids and sister all came to visit. We have known James and Yzeny since we were in Japan in 1990. James was best man at Josh's wedding.
Folkston, GA and then west towards Albany. Each time we go, we like to try different routes and we are learning that the less traveled US highways are still great--often 4 lanes, 55 or 60 MPH, lots of places to get cheap gas and food, and beautiful scenery.

When we pulled in to the house, we cleaned the coach out for a bit, and got ready to get back to work. Yep, still had boxes to unpack, book cases to put up, and decor to rediscover and display. But the break to see the kids was awesome. We plan to head back to FL in September to see the kids again. Maybe this time we can get camping with Drew.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1005.4kb