Visiting the kids


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange Park
March 2nd 2011
Published: March 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Josh reading to DrewJosh reading to DrewJosh reading to Drew

Every night, daddy reads Drew 2-3 books. We loved listening to Josh read the different voices and Drew watching all wide eyed and admiring.
After closing on the house in Alabama, we drove to Jacksonville, FL to see our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson. Someone asked how long would it take to get from Alabama to Jacksonville. I said, "About 2 weeks....4 hours to the Gulf coast, camp and relax for 10-12 days, then another 4-5 hours to Jacksonville." This time the trip was on back roads and it took about 7 hours with stops for lunch and driving at a leisurely 55-60 MPH. (With current gas prices, this is smart driving.)
Drew was still up when we got in and I must say, singularly unimpressed with his grandparents. He has only seen us a few times. Last time John saw him was last April and Trish saw him in July. So we were strangers. We were ready for that and took it easy, not pushing.
It was a great 4 1/2 days with the kids! We went to an RV show with Josh one day and the Jacksonville show surpassed the Washington, DC AND the Richmond shows....combined. HUGE...with lots of variety, some used rigs, and even some of the newer models that Winnebago has. Very impressive at the Jacksonville Equestrian Center. Another day Trish and
John gets close to push on the swingJohn gets close to push on the swingJohn gets close to push on the swing

John was able to get close to Drew, as long as he pushed him on the swing. Drew liked to go high and fast. John twisted the swing and pushed, getting Drew ready for carnival rides.
I went to the beach and just walked in the sand, the surf, and watched the waves. On Saturday noon we went with Jen and Drew to the Gymboree, a structured play setting for kids. Drew takes after his father and does his own thing. He is not a joiner and can not be coaxed into participating if he doesn't want to. (Hmm, like his grandmother too.)
Sunday we went to the beach again and Drew LOVED it....walking on the sand, chasing gulls, and trying to figure out why the water kept going away, then coming back at him. (We wanted to get some pictures from the beach but forgot to take the camera! Josh had his, so once he publishes his pictures on his blog, I'll capture some and maybe add to these.)
We cooked out a couple of meals with the kids, fixed some different dishes for them, and ate on the patio in the evening. We watched Drew play in his swing set, play blocks and watch as Daddy read bedtime stories (2-3 each night).
Did Drew ever warm up to us? Well, he became less stand offish, but still was not ready to climb in our
Jen and Drew at GymboreeJen and Drew at GymboreeJen and Drew at Gymboree

Drew loved being with mommy at the gymboree. Didn't want to participate and wasn't sure of the other kids, but made his own fun.
laps. John got to hold him...as long as he was reading a book to him. That kid loves books. After bed time stories, he wants to sit on the floor or stand at the coffee table and read to books to himself a couple more times.
We were sorry to have to leave and go back to VA and work. But if this is what retirement can mean...BRING IT ON! We're ready.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

New trick--tear a tissueNew trick--tear a tissue
New trick--tear a tissue

Opps, someone left a tissue around and BamBam found it and tore it to shreds. The kids did not panic, didn't fuss, just let him have fun and make a mess. It cleaned up and he had a good time.
Loving parentsLoving parents
Loving parents

Josh and Jen are GREAT parents. They watch him, fuss over him, and let him grow and learn. They have a lot of common sense about raising kids and are doing a great job with Drew.


7th March 2011

Strangers
John, once you retire, I imagine you will not be a stranger for long (o: I can see it now John, Trish, and grandson on the road together (o:

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb