Great Time in Blue Springs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orange City
March 1st 2013
Published: March 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

How did this happen! It’s the first of March already and it’s still summer!

The time has gone by so fast, I can’t believe it’s time to start thinking about going home.

Not yet!

Yesterday I moved from Orange City to Silver River State Park in Ocala. Moving day is always busy, but it’s not hectic anymore. I have settled into a routine of packing up, moving and reestablishing camp in a very short time and minimal effort. I have gotten into the habit of putting away everything when I’m finished with it and I don’t have clutter around inside which leads me to a more peaceful feeling and less to deal with when moving time comes.

Blue Springs was a beautiful park with the spring and the benefits that brings. The manatees come into the spring when the St John River water goes below 68. The manatees eat in the river, a diet of plants, and come into the spring to keep warm at night. The spring run is a constant 72 so there is always warmth there for them.

When I was there I saw a mom and her 2 week old calf and a manatee that was released from captivity a few weeks ago that has been adopted by this new mom. The 3 of them are hanging out at the spring for the calf to stay warm and the other just stays with them. Thursday morning there were 8 others there because the outside temp was quite cool. The numbers will probably increase as the next few days go by as it will be quite cool.

Friday morning we went on a 2 hr. narrated river cruise to see what was out there. It was a terrific experience, very peaceful and informative. I have included several pictures of the birds and scenery and the park.

One picture shows fern on the upper part of an oak tree branch. The day before this fern was very dead looking and after rain it just sprang to life. It’s called resurrection fern.

The campground was very peaceful with lots of room between campsites and lots of vegetation. It made it feel that you were the only person in the entire camp.

'


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Mom and babyMom and baby
Mom and baby

This calf is a little over 2 weeks old


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb