Miami without the Vice


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Miami
November 27th 2012
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 25.7615, -80.2939

The BA staff on the flight over from Heathrow to Miami were very attentive, even allowing Ted onto the flight deck. The food and service were good but the seats are just not wide enough or long enough to sleep in so it was just as well it was a day flight. Immigration into the USA was amazingly quick even though they take a photograph and do your fingerprints. The staff have obviously been well trained as they are now friendly and chatty. The transfer to the Epic hotel, one of the Kimpton chain, in downtown Miami was equally rapid so we found ourselves at 9pm all settled in to our spacious modern room on the 20th floor. One tip to avoid jet lag is always to adjust your watch to the new time and decide that is the time without thinking oh it is 2 in the morning really! We headed for the bar (full of ladies in serious stilettos) and had a light snack (fried seafood and French fries-very tasty) in the restaurant before retiring. I do wish the Americans would put the tax in the charge for each item instead of landing you with this unexpected extra at the end. It is bad enough having to give them the expected 12 to 15% tip on top.

The following morning was warm and sunny and it was a pleasant surprise to find that the hotel was on Biscayne Bay with expensive yachts moored up alongside. After breakfast (not the best buffet we have ever seen) we wandered out to take a 2.5 mile jogging route by the water on Brickell Key. We did not jog but strolled along the path taking in the views and the odd statue along the way. There were plenty of joggers who overtook us several times. The grass and bushes alongside the path are totally manicured with pooper scoopers every 10 yards and not one item of litter. However I think they have missed an opportunity in not having the odd bar or restaurant on the circular walk around the island. We ended up in the Mandarin Oriental (our favourite chain) for our first beer of the day as this is at the end of the walk.

It was an easy transfer from the hotel to the 7 Seas Navigator cruise ship just in time for lunch and time to unpack before the safety drill and finally a glass of champagne on the balcony as we sailed away from Miami. We shall be seeing this city again in 3 weeks time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 1.011s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.5348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb