Back in the USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Marathon
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

May 22, 2011, 2011
Hello again,

Looks like they changed the blog. You have to scroll down to see all the picutures. There are 9 pictures attached to this Blog 😊.

We are sitting again in Boot Key Harbor. Florida Keys. We had crossed over to Sandy Point in the Abacos and then tried to cross abound “Hole in the Wall” at the south end of the Abacos and ran into big waves coming off the Atlantic ocean. We went from 2’ seas to 10’-12’ chop (Carol’s version is growing to 15’-20’). As they say, the boat can take it be we humans cannot.

So we turned and ran back to the Berry islands. We spent about a week there gathering conch, snorkeling and preparing to make our next passage. There are two islands there that the cruise ships use for a playground for their passengers.

We are still unable to get good weather forecasts with sea state and keep getting bounced around in our anchorages. We left Great Harbor Key and stayed up on the bank and was thinking about going south to Nassau but changed plans and headed to North Bimini where we sat for a couple of days at anchorage in 10’-12’ of water. Gathered more conch and then left for Miami with an early morning crossing.

We stayed in Miami area for about a week and went to several anchorages including Hurricane hole and No Name harbor. After that we took several days and went the inside route to Boot Key Harbor.

We will check the weather today and maybe leave in the morning for a trip up the west coast. Stopping in Little Shark River, Everglades City and on to Naples.

There is an inside route from Florida Bay to Marco and then to Naples but it has some areas that are 4’ at low tide. With a 2’-3’ tide we would have to wait for an incoming tide to take this route so we may try it.

We plan to up in Charlotte Harbor at “All American dry boat storage” where we can stop and do some needed work on the bottom. We plan to put her on the dry and go to Carol’s mothers for a period and take care of some other items.


Keep in Touch and thanks for reading our Blog
Conch DinnerConch DinnerConch Dinner

Yum, fried conch!

Ron & Carol

S/V Midnight Escape



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Where we put our Conch ShellsWhere we put our Conch Shells
Where we put our Conch Shells

That has been a lot of eating!
Kayak with 4 dogsKayak with 4 dogs
Kayak with 4 dogs

We thought this was Carol's sister Gloria. We kept calling Gloria to her and she yelled back "Hallelujah the end is near". But that was yesterday.


28th May 2011

:)
Love the awesome pictures, especially the "Gloria" one! Ha ha ha, i wish that was Glo floating along in the warm waters. Hope you guys are great. Think of you often. One more question..... who's hands are those holding the conchs in the fist picture? Love you guys and hope to see you soon. You guys going to be around in July?
8th June 2011

Thanks!
Howdy people!!! Mom said that you guys are going to be docked for about 3 months. I hope the painting of the boat goes well. I got my card a few days ago and wanted to say thanks. The coral is beautiful and the card was so thoughtful. I hope that you two are great. Think of you both often and how much fun you guys are having. All is well here. Elliot is growing up so very fast. He is at a really fun stage now. Howie is great and so am I. It is just blazing hot here in Georgia. Love you guys! Krim
27th June 2011

Where you at these days
Just checking to see where you are at these days. Miss you both

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 36; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb