Jolly Roger RV park and Key Deer refuge


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Marathon
January 25th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our RV park was in Marathon which was in the central keys. It was very busy as it is a passport america campground which meant instead of $70 a night it was $35 a night. It was also the least accepting of poor casper who was looked down on by multitudes of campers with their pedigreed toy dogs....only two campers deigned to allow their dogs to play with him and on top of that we were spoken to the very first night about his barking....which fortunately he didn't continue on the following days as I got the feeling that they would have had no problem kicking us out and it would have been difficult to find another campground at short notice. The view was beautiful however the waves were a little rough for the porta bote although there was a pier for fishing. I think the strangest thing to get used to was the pelicans in numbers equal to seagulls in the north. I am including pictures from the National Key Deer Refuge in this posting as well even though it is really much closer to Key West than Marathon. The Key deer are really cute and endangered as at last count there were only about 700 key deer in the world with 80 % of them in this refuge and the rest of them scattered around the keys. A full grown male only gets about 100 lbs and a full grown female abou 80 lbs. I am including some pictures from the subdivision for size comparison purposes. That said if you go to the refuge and fail to see the deer along the trail ( best early in the morning and closer to evening ) according to the ranger that we spoke to the best place to see key deer is in the subdivision snacking on the landscaping.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

fishing Jolly Roger Campground fishing Jolly Roger Campground
fishing Jolly Roger Campground

As you can see they didn't catch anything except as Bob said one this big....which they threw back. Chris was upset that he lost one of Tom's lures...I told him that his dad would have said thats part of fishing and that Tom had lost many lures over the years!
key deer alligatorkey deer alligator
key deer alligator

this little guy was posing for us on one of the trails


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb