Amelia & Lucky Lindy Fly Again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys » Marathon
February 9th 2011
Published: February 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Lindy & AmeliaLindy & AmeliaLindy & Amelia

Flying Tandem
Since we didn't get to fly in the seaplane, Jan wanted to do a bi-plane ride from the Marathon Airport. We've seen the sign several times in our travels. We booked a 45 minute flight that would show us several keys, the 7 Mile Bridge and the reef about 5 miles off shore. The airplane is a Waco with tandem seats in the front and a pilot's seat in the rear. It was pretty cool flying in an open cockpit airplane. These Wacos are aerobatic capable and were built in the 1930's in Battle Creek, MI.

The weather was really nice for flying. Our pilot, Mark has about 3,000 hours flying time and is in a 2 year process of doing a rebuild on an old Waco he found. The Waco cruised along at about 110mph and we flew most of the time at around 800 feet. It was a super smooth flight, proof that it was another beautiful day. What a great way to enjoy the afternoon and get a chance to fly in a vintage open cockpit airplane!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Pre-FlightPre-Flight
Pre-Flight

Our Waco Bi-Plane
Tiny IslandTiny Island
Tiny Island

Don't ask me a name
The Intrepid Co-PilotThe Intrepid Co-Pilot
The Intrepid Co-Pilot

She was ready to take the stick at any time!!


10th February 2011

Looks like fun
Looks like you are both having a fantastic time! No way I could do that! Did he do any flips with you?
11th February 2011

Looks Like Fun
It was a lot of fun. No flips or rolls, just straight & level, but a lot of cool views of the Keys. It was hard to get good photos, though, because of the struts and wings.

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb