Historical Tour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Estero
March 16th 2018
Published: March 17th 2018
Edit Blog Post

blog 03-16-18 Historic Tour

We had a later start to the day but got a really good walk in for Watson because I was leaving him while I went on the tour Of the Koreshan Historic Site scheduled for 2 pm.

The tour started on time and was run by a volunteer who has been conducting these tours for 15 yrs, she loves it. I was part of a group of about 25, almost all retired snowbirds. We started in the Art Hall where I had been Wed night for the meditation and learned that it was built about 1897 and the grand piano on the stage is an original Steinway, a limited edition at that. Hope they have a security system.

The followers, The Koreshan, believe that we live inside the earth and the sun and moon revolve inside the outer shell. It was thought of as a Utopian society where all worldly goods are given up to the leader and he will provide all that you will ever need. Everyone had a job of their choosing and noone wanted for anything. They had a kitchen where meals were prepared and all ate together at specific times. The noon meal was the largest and it was formal, everyone dressed properly for it and manners were very important.

The society only lasted about 15 yrs, it was hard to get new members. The land was donated to the state and they have updated the buildings that remain and conduct tours and have special events most weekends. Tomorrow and Sunday is the annual quilt show and antique engine demonstration. Something for both men and women.

I have enclosed pictures of the buildings and will elaborate there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb