Rides and Races


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Daytona Beach
February 22nd 2016
Published: February 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

We have had a great week at Daytona. We were able to get in two really nice rides, one to Ocala National Forest and one to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. Outside of Ocala, near The Villages, we looked at some property but we were not impressed. Neither of us care much for Central Florida. The wildlife refuge was really worth the trip. We took a long hike through the wetlands and saw gators, Manatees, wild hogs, armadillos, and many nesting birds throughout the refuge. It was miles and miles of open road through the coastal plains on a warm mid-70s afternoon. A good way to pass the time while we waited for race weekend. You can't talk about the races without mentioning the improvement done to the racetrack. They made a substantial investment in the infrastructure and it really shows. New escalators that go to the upper grandstands, new concession areas, restrooms, new seats and isles that made the experience so much better for everyone. Entrance and exit of the grandstands was vastly improved. I think that it helped that we had great seats as well. The Saturday race was really different. Lot of 5-6 car groups until they all bunched up on a yellow and then the racing really started and Chase took over. Never had the "big one" in either race. Yes, I have a bunch of picks of the early part of the Sprint Cup race but I told myself that I was not going to watch the race through the camera lens so I put it away. No, I didn't get a picture of the 88 on the hook, in fact when he hit the wall and the yellow came out I ran downstairs with just about every other guy in the stands. It was a timely break. All-in-all our experience at Daytona definitely worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



10th March 2016
The improvements to the racetrack are awesome

Tell that chick in the front to get out of the way next time.

Tot: 0.245s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb