Odyssey 2023 - Back in the saddle again!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Daytona Beach
March 31st 2023
Published: January 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

After a four-year hiatus during the COVID pandemic and its aftermath, it's finally time for us to wipe the dust and cobwebs from our passports, and embark upon another odyssey to Europe. The tentative plan for this trip, which was a surprise birthday gift to my lovely wife and travel partner, is to make Sorrento in southern Italy our home base for two months, taking side-trips wherever the winds and our whims take us. At this point, Rome, Madrid or Barcelona, and Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat (on the French Riviera, not far from Nice) are among the destinations under consideration. We'll spend the final two weeks of our journey in Paris.

During previous trips, in 2016 and 2018, we enjoyed visiting the Amalfi Coast/Naples region of Italy, including Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, the Isle of Capri and the impressive Greco-Roman ruins at Paestum (south of Salerno). We're especially looking forward to a reunion with a dear friend who provides private chauffeur/tour guide services throughout the region. He and his family, whom we had the pleasure to meet during those visits, live in the outskirts of Sorrento.

We're also planning on spending some time with another dear friend in Rome, who has graciously offered us the use of her beautiful apartment where we stayed for two weeks back in 2014, and with whom we've remained in contact ever since.

We would also like to reconnect with a charming friend who lives in Tours (the châteaux region of the Loire River valley in France), whom we met in 2018 while staying at her adorable Villa Medicis; as well as the lovely and lovable German couple in Munich we've known for many years. And, although a remote possibility, it would be nice if we're somehow able to arrange a visit with the Greek friends we made during our visit to Athens in 2017, when they extended so many kindnesses to us.

Unlike previous odysseys, when we planned fairly rigid itineraries with frequent changes of venues, we decided to try a more flexible (and hopefully less stressful) approach this time around. Both of us are now in our mid-70s, with a growing list of age-related aches and pains, so we're not likely to engage in many strenuous activities during this trip.

An extended stay in Sorrento should be far more relaxing than packing and moving like vagabonds to a different place every week or so, while the proximity to the airport in Naples will allow us to connect with a variety of cities across Europe, should we decide to do so.

Ciao for now; and early Happy Birthday wishes to Dee!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th February 2023

Another Adventure
Wow!! Another adventure have a blast..
21st March 2023

So Fun.
I love the laid back ravel approach! Can't wait to adventure with you two.
1st April 2023

As the Adventure Sets Sail...May the sky be sweet, laughter pure, memories cherished. Enjoy the breathes in the days ahead!
Always hugs and love, see you sooner than later. Love You Most ❣️
1st April 2023

Are you there yet?!?!
Can’t wait to join you virtually on this adventure! ; )

Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 17; qc: 66; dbt: 0.1612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb