Odyssey 2023 - "April Fools" arrive in Sorrento?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Sorrento
April 1st 2023
Published: April 2nd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Playing practical jokes on April 1st is a tradition in Italy in the same manner as many other countries, although in Italy the day is called Pesce d’Aprile (April’s Fish) rather than April Fools’ Day. The most common trick apparently involves sticking a cut-out picture of a fish on the back of an unsuspecting ‘victim’, and then watching how long it takes for him (or her) to discover the prank. However, as it turned out, Dee and I were "pranked" in an altogether different way as we embarked on Odyssey 2023.

We had an auspicious start to our journey, as the Delta flight from Daytona Beach was a piece of cake, with TSA's Security screening a breeze. But after we landed in Atlanta to make the connection for the Delta flight to Rome, things began to go awry. Owing to our aging bodies, we had made advance arrangements for assistance (either wheelchair or motorized cart) from our arrival gate in Atlanta to the international terminal, but as we exited the aircraft there was no waiting attendant in sight.

Fortunately, we were able to locate a female airport attendant (she looked to weigh all of 100 lbs.) who pushed both of us simultaneously in small wheelchairs through the maze of the Atlanta concourses, on-and-off the underground train that moves people through the terminals, and eventually deposited us at the departure gate for our flight to Rome.

At this point, a slight digression may be apropos. For the past twenty-plus years, Dee and I have had many opportunities to travel extensively, primarily in Europe (but once around the world). During those travels we have encountered many challenges, and suffered our fair share of indignities along the way. But now we have come face-to-face with our advancing ages, and the physical limitations that entails.

Although both of us are reluctant to accept it, we're no longer as fit and spry as we once were. Dee suffers from arthritis in her right knee, as well as other lower spinal issues, while I have several types of arthritis in my neck and lower spine. Thus, for all intents and purposes, we are physically challenged. We discovered today, as we hobbled around the airports, that we are now pushing the outside of our respective envelopes.

After the tedious and cramped nine-hour flight from Atlanta, we touched down at the airport in Rome on-time, but after we deplaned yet another challenge confronted us. Like other major airports around the world, the distances from arrival gates to baggage claim areas are formidable, particularly for the frail or infirm. After struggling mightily for a short distance, we encountered an airport attendant who offered Dee wheelchair assistance, and then proceeded to lead us through yet another airport labyrinth, while I struggled to keep pace on foot behind them. By the time we finally reached baggage claim, and had retrieved our luggage, it was over an hour-and-a-half since we had landed.

We were greeted at the airport by our dear friend, guardian angel and Italian tour guide Francesco Ruggiero and his 10-year-old son Luigi. We had last seen them, as well as his wife Anna and their daughter Lucia (fraternal twin of Luigi), during our trip to Sorrento in 2018, but had first become acquainted with Francesco during our visit to Sorrento with several friends back in 2016.

Poor Francesco and his son made the 3-1/2 hour drive from Sorrento to Rome early this morning to meet us upon arrival. They waited patiently for us to finally emerge from the baggage claim area to the outside world, and it was a joyous reunion that ensued! On the long, traffic-clogged drive from Rome to Sorrento we fondly reminisced about our past experiences with him and his family. We made a brief stop in a small town a short distance from Sorrento to buy some basic grocery items. While shopping, Francesco called his wife, who arrived shortly thereafter with daughter Lucia, and they are just as sweet as we remembered them to be.

When Francesco delivered us to our apartment in Sorrento at around 3:30 PM, we were greeted by the charming owner/manager Martina (and equally charming husband), who had patiently waited for our later-than-expected arrival. They gave us a brief orientation tour of the apartment, and before departing presented us with several thoughtful gifts of pastry and chocolate.

We spent the remainder of arrival day trying to wind-down and relax from our travails of the last twenty-four hours. After a light meal of salami, bread, cheese and olives we showered and tried to sleep. While both of us managed to get some fitful shuteye, it will no doubt take us several days for our systems to return to normal. But thankfully we arrived in one piece. Hopefully we can now begin to relax and enjoy the ambience of Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast!

Dee's Comments: Our departure day started with a little stress, as the taxi we had reserved in advance was 15-minutes late, but airport security in Daytona Beach was a piece of cake. In Atlanta, oh boy! God bless the wonderful woman who wheeled us around; without her help we would still be there; got ripped-off $6.99 for six bite-sized pretzels with humus; flying nowadays makes one feel like sheep being herded from one place to another, with airline food even more spartan and bland than ever.

In Rome, a very nice man saw us struggling and offered to push me in a wheelchair (probably a mile to baggage claim). Along the way, I had a meltdown and cried; my heart feels like I'm 25-years-old, but these legs and knees are telling me the sad truth. The three-hour drive with Francesco and son from Rome to Sorrento was wonderful; lots of laughs along the way. Brief stop to buy some groceries, but we were really dragging by then. The apartment is great, and I was impressed when I could operate the induction stove on the first try. Now on with new adventures!

Advertisement



2nd April 2023

What a journey!
So happy to know you made it safely to your destination. I am sending you both big hugs because despite all the roadblocks and challenges you pushed through. I am looking forward to exploring the world through you! P.S. Your bodies have given you both amazing lives and with some grace they will continue to do so! Love you! K.
2nd April 2023

The most stressful part of your trip is behind you now. Relax and enjoy your adventure!
2nd April 2023

Happy to see you arrived safely after a long journey! Traveling through the airports and flying is not a good time, but now you have arrived and can catch your breath! Now great food and experiences are ahead. And just hearing about your chocolate, pastries, and light meal I’m already jealous! 😘
2nd April 2023

Keep those young hearts going. Enjoy it all and stop at nothing. Love you both. 💋
2nd April 2023

Whew!!
Glad you made it in one piece. Relax and enjoy.
2nd April 2023

Adventure Begins
So happy you made it safely even with the inconveniences. Enjoy your day tomorrow relax!
3rd April 2023

I’m so glad you guys made it safely to Sorrento ❤️ Enjoy the rest of the Adventure ! Love you
5th April 2023

No Jokes About It!!!!!
Grateful for a safe, mild eventful beginning to this adventure!!!! Relax, feed the souls.... This Odyssey is all about choices and You!!! Huge love to both and can't wait for the days ahead!!! To All the Adventures of Dee and Mitch :)

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb