Back Across the Gulf


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Carrabelle
May 20th 2011
Published: May 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

melting into the sea
Thursday morning we left our anchorage in Cedar Keys and continued north, reaching Steinhatchee by mid afternoon. This time we went upriver to River Haven Marina, where we headed for showers before walking down the road to Fiddlers Restaurant for an excellent supper. Then next door to the liquor store to stock up on essentials before walking back to the boat. After dark the no-see-ums came out in force and nearly drove us crazy. I finally sprayed the screens and that eased things somewhat.

This morning we were up at 6 and out before 7 for the long trip across the Gulf of Mexico. The weather was fine, with cooler temps and light winds. We had a bit of a following sea, swells mostly, but they would hit us on the rear quarter and push us around. We zigzagged across the gulf again. Once out of sight of land, it was a bit eerie, with no fish, no turtles, no dolphins, and no birds in sight. As we approached within 15 miles of the end of our day, we finally started seeing some life; first a dolphin, then the pelicans.

We are anchored in Shippers Cove at the western
Sunset from North KeySunset from North KeySunset from North Key

were we having sunset withdrawal?
end of Dog Island facing St. George Sound. There is a narrow band of beach that separates us from the Gulf of Mexico and we can stand on the deck and see the gulf. It’s been a long day, 10 hours to cross, but we’re glad to be here.

More later…




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Full Moon RisingFull Moon Rising
Full Moon Rising

from North Key
Beautiful color Beautiful color
Beautiful color

the water was a dark teal and around 30' deep here
from our anchoragefrom our anchorage
from our anchorage

at Dog Island, you see Shippers Cove, beach, Gulf of Mexico


Tot: 0.341s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1909s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb