PreCheck and Global Entry


Advertisement
Published: July 19th 2022
Edit Blog Post

From the Points Guy: The Transportation Security Administration has seen a huge surge in the number of travelers enrolled in its expedited security checkpoint screening program — through TSA PreCheck directly and through other programs like Global Entry. There are no signs of the trend slowing, either. In fact, the agency wants more travelers to enroll.
At the beginning of 2022, there were 27.4 million known travelers in the system, the TSA told TPG. That number includes travelers enrolled in all U.S. Department of Homeland Security Trusted Traveler programs, the vast majority of whom are members of a program that provides them with TSA PreCheck access.


How do the current numbers compare to pre-pandemic times?

In 2019, there were 18.9 million known travelers, the TSA told TPG. That means enrollment levels in DHS Trusted Traveler programs have spiked 44%!s(MISSING)ince before the pandemic. The numbers have also more than doubled in the last five years. In 2017, there were just 12.6 million known travelers.

Still, the agency touts short wait times for TSA PreCheck members even in the midst of a summer travel surge. In June, 94%!o(MISSING)f TSA PreCheck passengers waited less than five minutes, the agency reports.
I can tell you from experience that Global Entry saves time, every time. And now with their facial recognition software, it is even faster. Not so true for Pre-check in certain locations, like San Diego, Las Vegas, Seattle, Honolulu, and Denver.
Staffing appears to be the biggest problem. I noticed that checkpoints in foreign countries ALWAYS went faster and easier!The best one I have seen lately is Frankfurt.
My suggestion: Take the train!
Seriously, you should have both Global Entry and PreCheck if you travel, even half as much as I do.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.63s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 36; qc: 143; dbt: 0.5015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb