New Haven, CT… where pizza is a serious business


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » New Haven
December 28th 2011
Published: December 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Pepe Pizzeria opens at 11.30 am and almost immediately an attempt to eat in the premises will cost one 50 minutes. That is because people from all over travel to Pepe’s for their “tomato pies”- thin crusts of pizza dough one can eat with or without cheese but always loaded with home made tomato sauce and one’s pick of toppings.

To tell the truth, the stuff is good. Realizing that pizza was not meant to be a piece of bread always loaded with heavy cheese is good news for any lactose intolerant person, but aside from that, the “pies” are tasty – with big chunks of garlic in the sauce and pieces of bacon cooked to perfection.

Waiting in line is not fun, but no one ever seems to leave. It is a 50 minute wait once you are INSIDE the restaurant, yet, check out the picture – those folks in line would be dedicating at least 2 hours to their mission.

Standing in New Haven’s Little Italy since 1925, Pepe’s is surrounded by other restaurants and pizzerias, yet remaining the favorite. Without meaning to, it has created an alliance with its neighboring Libby’s Bakery, where people stop after pizza for a cannoli, a lobster tail, an Italian ice, or a cup of coffee.

Pepe’s Pizzeria

157 Wooster St, New Haven, CT 06511

http://www.pepespizzeria.com



With a belly full of pizza and pastries, there’s no better occupation in New Haven than a stroll through the city and its “green,” the big park in the center of this town that was founded in 1638 and that is home to Yale University.

Yale is impressive on its own. Walking through its buildings makes anyone want to go to college. New Haven non-surprisingly caters to the many Yale students. The Barnes and Noble is actually the “Yale Bookstore” and it sells as many Yale clothing items and it does books. The city has a Yale Theater, a Yale University Art Gallery, and currently even an “Occupy New Haven” that seems to be more a demonstration against Yale than anything else, with about twenty tents exhibiting signs that read “Look Mom. No job!” and “Education should be free” set exactly across the street from one of the most beautiful of Yale’s buildings.

Inside the Art Gallery there is a Van Gogh, my favorite, and Pollock, the dude that squirted paint into a canvas and created pieces that are now famous. The film Pollock from 2000 is by the way a great one to watch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Christmas Tree at New Haven GreenChristmas Tree at New Haven Green
Christmas Tree at New Haven Green

gorgeous at night time


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb