Resort Life Day 2


Advertisement
Published: July 5th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Before I begin today’s activities, which were few and far between. I forgot to mention two things from last night, one probably because it was just more average food (not even picture worthy) but the other was the most exciting thing that has happened on the trip.

First, last night’s dessert. The special dessert was Strawberry Shortcake. Those of you that have been reading this for a while know exactly how much of a strawberry snob I am. Oregon has the best and that is all there is to it. We went with this because somehow in July strawberries still seem to be in season here. The Oregon Season has long been over. I should have taken a picture, because the first thing you would ask is, where are the strawberries? They were hidden under some very under beaten whipped cream. I think there have been maybe 6 berries, the good news, they did actually have flavor. I would rank them third behind Oregon and France for taste. While the strawberries had a nice flavor there simply wasn’t enough of them, and the shortcake, was too dry.

Second, and the far more exciting event, was that on the drive home a big black bear ran across the road. I have gone all my life without seeing a bear. Well, we did catch a very slight glimpse of a grizzly in Yellowstone. This however was in full sight and he was on a mission, searching for food. Unfortunately, the camera was not where we could snap a quick photo and there was a car directly behind us.

Back to today. We slept in, opted out of the box breakfast (it wasn’t worth losing sleep over) and did not get up until about 9:30. Even Tarragon managed to sleep, well once Jerry got up at 6:30 to feed him, but after that we all were very cozy in the king-sized bed. All we had planned for today was more Bocce Ball and then an attempted at canoeing. There are no pictures of any of this so you have to take my word.

Before we did anything, we ordered lunch from Green Café in Lakeview. They were delivering during the Coved outbreak, but on the holiday, it was pick up only. This was not a big deal since it was only about a 5-minute drive. It also gave us a
chance to fill the car up with gas so we don’t have to worry about. One of the perks of a Zipcar is that everything is included in the rental price, except tolls. We called ahead so our order was ready when we got there. Jerry had the pleasure of dawning the mask and going in. I say the pleasure because he then got the extreme joy of dealing with the entitled 20 somethings, that did not have the sense to call ahead, and wanted everything rushed, didn’t understand when they couldn’t put the tip on their card, like they never heard of cash, an I could go on.

After filling up and returning to the room, we had a very nice lunch, unfortunately I forgot to pour the Sancerre, so it was just ice tea. We both ordered sandwiches and split an order of avocado protein toast, not sure why they had the word protein in it, but it was a good starter. A nicely toasted slice of wheat toast, with humus (I didn’t really taste any humus) avocado, heirloom tomato and a balsamic drizzle. Jerry’s sandwich was a Henny Penny; grilled chicken, prosciutto, roasted tomatoes, balsamic, baby
spinach & Mozzarella on toasted sour dough. I had The Gobbler; house roasted turkey, cranberry mayo, Swiss cheese on toasted sourdough bread. They came with house made potato chips and a pickle. They were really good, actually better than dinner last night.

After lunch it was off to the Bocce ball fields. It was not as hot or humid as yesterday, but it was still very buggy. We played two matches; we each won a match. However, this makes me the Interlaken champion since I won three of our four matches. After the Bocce ball it was time for the lake and our hand at the canoe.

The lake was beautiful, mostly private houses surround it, you know “Life Styles of the Rich and _____” fill in your preferred word. There were a lot of guests hanging out at the lake, all very much social distanced, but no masks. They were more than 6 feet apart, so masks weren’t really required. There are pictures of the lake, just not of us in a canoe. We managed to get in the canoe without instance, the first time that is. I started out in the front, which if you ever been in a canoe is pretty narrow and given I have “old hips” as some would say (and you know who you are) it was a bit uncomfortable, so about 15 minutes into our ride, we went to the shore and switched spots, me in the back, which is also the steering position). I have never been in a canoe in my life, I am a rubber raft kind of guy. Anyway, disaster struck, we managed to get out of the canoe fine, but when we tried to get back in, over we went. I got in, but don’t have a great sense of balance and as Jerry was getting in, we rent to the right and into the lake. The water was very warm so not much of a big deal, just part of the experience. Try tow was a success and off we went to continue our trip. We lasted about an hour before heading back to shore. It was fun, I could have been in that water for ever (not in the canoe) but it reminded me of my youth at Frog Lake, Timothy Lake, or Prineville Reservoir.

After our lake outing it was back to the room for, yes you guessed it, wine-thirty. Wine-thirty was also kitty getting to go outside. This time we put his leash on in the room, opened the door and let him go at his own pace. This was the ticket, he had a great time, sniffing, exploring and eating real grass. He even saw one of his squirrel friends. However, now he just wants to go back out every time we head for the door.

That is pretty much the day. Now it’s time to get ready for our last dinner (please let it be good) and then packing as we have to go back to NYC tomorrow and back to the grind. It was a good getaway, would we come back, probably not, just too many bugs and even giving them the Covid benefit of the doubt, the service is really not up to Summer Resort Standards.

The Woodland Restaurant

Well its true, the third time is a charm. What a way to end the trip, but with a wonderful meal. This place exceeded expectations in every way. The outdoor seating was comfortable, (weather just happened to be perfect), the service exceptional, and the menu outstanding. The wine list was beyond belief, we ordered an entire bottle for our last evening. From start to finish the experience was everything we could hope for in a prefect vacation meal.

All of the seating was outside, with about 10 tables, including a large table of eight. Lights were hung in the air making a really delightful setting. Our table was ready when we arrived, an old wire spool turned into a high top. The seats were very comfortable. The server was very nice, masks all worn appropriately, at least by the staff some of the customers couldn’t seem to grasp the concept, when you stand up you mask up. It took a bit for us to make some decisions, so we started with an appetizer of charred filet of beef with a ginger dipping sauce. The beef was tender cooked perfect and the sauce was amazing.

We picked the wine first, and this was difficult because there were three very good ones, I choose a Chateau Pichon Longvuille (that is spelled very wrong) mainly because it was a Bordeaux, reasonably priced and most important one of the first chateaus I visited on my very first trip to France in 1995. Unfortunately, they were out of that one. So, then it was between two wines that we loved and were favorites of our friend Maria Joy, she was clearly with us on this night. We had to choose between a Tinto Pesquera or an Ecole 41. We went with the Ecole more for the price point, we knew both would be good. The wine did not disappoint.

With the wine chosen, we turned to the rest of our meal. I was torn between the veal chop of the lamb chops, the server recommended the lamb, so that it what I ordered. After our appetizer, we each had a salad. Jerry had Butter Lettuce, Avocado with a Green Goddess dressing. It was the best Green Goddess dressing we have ever had; it was a really good salad. I had Arugula with roasted pancetta, pine nuts and parmigiana, very lightly dressed. What made this salad was the warm pancetta, yum yum.

The entrées were equaly as appetizing. Jerry had a sliced hanger steak on garlic toast with sautéed spinach and house fries. The fires were perfectly crispy and the stead cooked perfectly. I had lamp chops (three of them) with roasted garlic merlot sauce, served with mashed potatoes. Again, perfectly cooked, just a tad salty for me, but still very good. Best part, the chef clearly knew what he/she was doing as the plates were hot and the food warm. It was clearly the best meal of the trip. I even ended with a bit of carrot cake.

After dinner, we drove the short distance back to the Inn. When we got out of the car, we noticed the full moon above, and the fireflies. I have never really seen fireflies, but Jerry was very much transported to his childhood by them. Would have loved to taken a picture, but capturing a firefly on camera is pretty much impossible with what we have.

Finally back in the room, a bit of wine and a good nights sleep.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th July 2020

Enjoyed this
I laughed over your canoe escapades! It sounds like you had an enjoyable weekend. I agree that bugs can definitely dampen an outing! I was crossing my fingers for you as you went to your final dinner! So glad that it was memorable and enjoyable!
7th July 2020

True Joy
Between the wine, full moon and fireflies, Ms. Joy was very much enjoying the evening with you two!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb