The lull before the storm (not really, it'll be mellow)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
May 25th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 22 - Cimarron to Sargents

Total Miles: 77.1 (1501mi total) ~probably about by the time we get to Sargents


Today isn't over yet. Trying to update the blog a bit during a midday break in Gunnison (ranking on my list of favorite towns). Another early start, another climb, another descent and another lunch break. This morning we left just as the sheep where coming our of their shelter and beginning to graze in the fields. Farm animals are ridiculously startled by us, it's pretty funny. As we approached every single sheep turned its black head toward us and perked up its ears. They stared at us for about 5 minutes, then the ones who were already out in the pasture (the others were patiently waiting in line to get out there but couldn't move because of the blockade we caused by our presence) gathered in a circle, heads in the center as if they were contemplating what to do about these crazy two wheeled things coming by - whether or not it was safe to enter the pasture - then all of the sudden they all turned around and headed back to where they came from, into their house shelter thing - we felt really bad for the sheep in the back who didn't even get a chance to leave their house and enter the field - they must have been pissed at us.


Gunnison has the best bike shop ever, a good library, good ice cream and helpful people. They say it's the coldest town in North America (apparently it's regularly -40 here in the winter) - I guess Gunnison has Truckee beat. We plan to ride the thirty some miles to Sargents this afternoon (which is apparently hardly a town) to put us right at the base of the climb to Monarch Pass for the morning. Tomorrow will be our last big climb, followed by a shorter climb, then the great descent into the plains ... although we're pretty excited not to have to face a big summit day after day, I bet the monotony of the plains will be yet another challenge. I feel like this blog is getting pretty monotonous as well ... I hope we're not bombarding you with mundane details (I guess we're not forcing you to read it or anything) ... I really wish Arthur could figure out the picture aspect of this site. If anyone has any tips in that regard, or knows of a site where we can post pictures please let us know. Happy Birthday to Matt Mittelstadt, wherever you are ... and congratulations to Kirsten on her wedding, I really wish I could be there for such a special day!

Advertisement



26th May 2006

In Awe
I am in awe of what you have accomplished so far, and I know you will make it all the way if all is equal. Tris told me he would have liked to go with you all the way, and misses you guys. Anna
26th May 2006

Don't be silly
I anxiously await your updates- there is no monotony.
27th May 2006

Wondering if..
...my last comments got there to you. ....I hit a wrong button. Just want you to know I love, love, reading of what happens as you go....Amazing adventure!!!

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb