We'd like to thank the Colorado Department of Roads for the gentle grades.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
May 24th 2006
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Day 21: Placerville, CO to Cimarron, CO

Total Miles: 75.0 (1423.9 total)


What a fantastic morning we had. It started off really cold so the climb out of Placerville was very manageable. As we approached the summit we were faced with the crazily spectacular view of three of Colorados most impressive fourteeners - El Diente Peak, Mt Wilson and Wilson Peak. We enjoyed quite a ride down to the town of Ridgeway - we ended up spending quite some time there. Arthur ordered a loaf of Jalepeno Cheese Bread (his favorite) - the lady in the store somehow convinced him that the three pound frozen solid block would surely be defrosted quickly. A half hour later she brings out the loaf smiling and says it's all set - Arthur takes it in his hands and can immediately tell that it's still frozen solid (she must have been numb to the cold or something) - we let it thaw for the day on his rear rack and enjoyed the delicious loaf for dinner.


The afternoon was spent driving through yet another deer suicide area (they actually have signs that say this) - we probably saw 25 dead deer in various stages of decomposition in a 20 mile stretch ... I've come to really appreciate the places that clean up their road kill. Arthur saw a dead hummingbird on the road - I think that's the most exciting road kill seen so far. Everyday's basically the same routine for us - we wake up and start riding around 7, give or take an hour depending on the heat, take a three hour lunch from 1ish to 4ish, then ride till about 7 again - the scenery changes (not as much if you're drafting your partner though) - so we appreciate the little things to keep our minds occupied (like counting road kill).





Great afternoon at Safeway procuring delicious food, then on our way to Cimarron (we had hoped to make it farther today but we met up with Scott and Randy who convinced us to come to Cimarron where they had a place to stay and a kitchenette and enjoy a wonderful meal with them. We sampled some of the delicious pie in Cimarron (I think that's pretty much all Cimarron has - it's a super small town), had a hearty meal and a few beers and retired for the evening at a lovely campsite (first time we've paid for camping - it's almost worth it not to have to worry about your bike getting stollen) near a rushing stream - we both slept like babies all night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb