The Ski Diaries 2006-Steamboat Springs


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
February 6th 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Staying ahead of the StormStaying ahead of the StormStaying ahead of the Storm

We decided to leave Grand Tarhee to stay ahead of this storm as seen from our room after check in.
The journey from Targhee to Steamboat started out as a rough one. Our idea was to get ahead of the storm so that we could enjoy the snow in Steamboat but it appeared at times, we were in the eye of the storm. Boyd did a great job with a miserable situation. It was like driving with a big, white, fluffy towel all over your windshield. There were very few road markers, either man-made or natural. At a couple of points, someone had placed empty pop cans on the road to outline the curve in the road through the pass. It was appreciated.

We had anticipated about 10 hours getting to Steamboat. After 9 hours in the storm, we decided to stop, just off the interstate a little more than halfway to our destination in a little red-necked town called Rock Springs; where the truckers stop and all the men in the dining room in our hotel were large and wore their baseball caps at the dinner table. My mother would be appalled and we were outnumbered.

The next morning we woke up to blue skies and clear roads. In no time we were in Steamboat Springs, Colorado; a
Storm catches up and.........Storm catches up and.........Storm catches up and.........

We came to find snow...ah we seem to be having success with it.
ski town of about 10,000 which is definitely focused on its ski hill and the bars and restaurants in the ski village. Steamboat has a great ski hill with challenging runs and a huge capacity for skiers. The tops of these mountains are round and much less rugged than our Rockies. The snow softens when it get warm rather than getting slushy which was enjoyed by the fellow from Denmark that we met on a chair who informed us that the snow in Alps remains the same all the time - like unmovable concrete. He and his wife have visited his wife’s uncle who operates a grain elevator in Northern Alberta often.

Our timing was right. The storm caught up with us on Friday and it literally snowed hard all day resulting in about 9 inches. We gave up skiing at 2pm; it was just too hard to see. Saturday was fabulous - blue, blue skies and temperatures in the 40’s. We came down from the hill about 3:30 pm to enjoy beers and the rock band playing at the bottom.

The Steamboat Winter Carnival starts next week. Sounds like they really do it up right by hauling
Another powder dayAnother powder dayAnother powder day

When the storms pass through the next day's blue sky is stunning.
in tons of snow downtown for snow slides and sculptures (this year they won’t need to haul as much). Obstacle courses are set up for those brave skiers who want to be pulled on the end of a tow rope that is powered by a cowboy on horseback. A few tequila shooters would be helpful there.

There is a great picture of last year’s Ice Parade featuring the local high school band, attired in crimson and gold but no marching shoes for them - they wear skies! Now that’s a talent.

We are halfway through our trip. Next we head to Aspen, Breckinridge and Vail which allows us access to Snowmass, Buttermilk, Beaver Creek, Copper and Keystone; all within a few miles. So much snow, so many ski resorts, so little time.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

10,500 is a long way up10,500 is a long way up
10,500 is a long way up

The view of the mid station day lodge at 9,000 feet above sea level
Live Band on the HillLive Band on the Hill
Live Band on the Hill

Entertainment was great, music, sun, and jugs of beer. Tough day on the mountain.
Night TubingNight Tubing
Night Tubing

Take the chairlift up the hill with your tube to go headfirst down in the dark. Pass.
From the AirFrom the Air
From the Air

Steamboat has a population of 10,000 and viewed from the top of the hill it looks like you are in an airplane
From the GroundFrom the Ground
From the Ground

Highrises on the Hill and multi-million dollar homes abound.
Kid TownKid Town
Kid Town

Rock climbing, bungee jumping, slides, and a whole lot more for kids to just play on the hill. Again, pass.


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb