The Ski Diaries 2006-Grand Targhee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
February 1st 2006
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Snowplow Operator Insisted.The Snowplow Operator Insisted.The Snowplow Operator Insisted.

The truck is in the background.
Well, if we thought that we saw snow in Jackson, it was nothing compared to Grand Targhee and we arrived just in time for a huge dump. A striking thing about Targhee is the average aged skier is well over 50, probably because of the amount of snow and the fact that it is a much more forgiving hill than Jackson Hole. However, I must admit there were a few people I felt the need to follow on the hill in case they fell and broke a hip or something. OK, so we felt young in the chalet.

Personally, I will take a memory from Targhee that will last a lifetime - the ideal powder run. The perfect pitch, untracked snow and suddenly, mindlessly all the mechanics of skiing powder that my husband has been teaching me came together as I effortlessly floated through waist deep fresh powder with "near perfectly" executed turns. It was what every skier hopes to experience and I was fortunate enough that it happened for me. If you are a skier, you know what I’m talking about and if you are not a skier, thank you for allowing me to indulge myself in this paragraph!
Snowed In!Snowed In!Snowed In!

We learned that everyone points their windshield wipers upward at night. Overnight snow: you have got to be kidding. The weight of the snow, ruins the wipers otherwise.


Although Targhee is big on snow, sleep it appears is not an important thing for people here. The village is very small and tucked in very close to the hill. The amount of snow that falls means that snow removal and grooming must go on all night long; apparently right outside our window! Add to that, the dog sled camp was just down the hill from us with approximately 30 huskies. When one of them starts, they all have their moment. It would go on at times like a bad choir practice that never ends. And then there was The Bed….

For two people who have slept for years in a king bed, The Bed was a challenge. There were two choices for accommodations in Targhee, we stayed in the best; advertised as a loft condo with queen bed. Penny, the Delta in Victoria, it wasn’t. A Queen, it wasn’t. I’d challenge the dimensions as to whether it was a Double or not. Regardless, the couch was much sought after.

We woke up on Day Two to a complete white-out and had to make a choice. Do we stay and wait out the storm or do we
What Road Sign?What Road Sign?What Road Sign?

This is the road sign on the way up to the resort. On the way down, what sign???
try to get ahead of the storm so that we can enjoy the new snow in Steamboat Springs, Co. We chose to outrun the storm and left in the midst of massive snowfall. The fellow running the snowplow in our parking lot thought we were crazy but happy to take our picture as we were trying to fight through the snow to get into our truck and if we needed a pull, he was there for us. Now, onto Steamboat…..I feel like I’m in a Warren Miller movie.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ThereThere
There

Our Hotel room is just around, or maybe behind, or maybe under this snow bank.
Ceramic TreesCeramic Trees
Ceramic Trees

The trees are so encrusted with ice and snow here that they appear to be made of ceramic. Blue skys after 2 feet of snow, can't happen, oh yeah it can.
This is not fog!This is not fog!
This is not fog!

A complete white-out on the morning of Day 2 and the decison is to hit the road or the slopes. Looks like just a "great" day for a drive!! But if we are going to move we need to stay ahead of this storm. Storm warning's being issued.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb