Twin Sisters (Rocky Mountain National Park)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
September 9th 2006
Published: September 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

With Fall starting to show up by way of the yellowing aspen leaves, my dad and I decided to head up to Rocky Mountain National Park for what would be our last hike in the area this year. At well over 11,000 feet, the two summits of Twin Sisters Peak dominate the landscape on the eastern border of the park. In fact, the peaks are easily visible from the surrounding areas such as the parks outside of Boulder. When I was much younger, I recall attempting this hike with a summer camp group, but I don't recall if I managed to make the summit. It was nice to go back and fill in the foggy gaps in my memory!

The trail begins at the popular Lily Lake trailhead and parking area (south from Estes Park along Highway 7, east side). I've read numerous descriptions of this trail, and it usually gets a difficult or strenuous rating. Personally, I only found some parts of the trail to be difficult, and never "strenuous." Without a doubt, the most impressive view from this hike is that of Longs Peak and Mt. Meeker on the opposite side of the valley. From the Twin Sisters trail, you get amazingly detailed views of Longs' rugged and awe-inspiring summit. Also visible from the trail are some of the other more famous mountains of the Continental Divide inside the park and the Indian Peaks to the south. I also found the landscape along the trail to be quite interesting. Aside from the changing aspens, there were also plenty of windblown, twisted pines at the higher elevations. The trail eventually passes above the tree line and makes its way up to a saddle below the first of the summits. Before reaching the actual summit, you will pass by an old stone research station and radio tower. A short climb around the station brings you to the end of the trail. The summit provides breathtaking 360 degree views of the surrounding areas I mentioned earlier. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike, and although it might prove challenging to some, it is well worth the effort.

Visit Protrails.com for directions: http://www.protrails.com/trail.php?trailID=64


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb