Waldo Canyon (Colorado Springs)


Advertisement
Published: August 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

After spending most of my time hiking in northern areas of the state, I finally decided it was time to venture south and visit some places outside of Colorado Springs. Waldo Canyon is a relatively easy 7 mile hike just outside of Manitou Springs (essentially a suburb of Colorado Springs). Interestingly, this hike is considered the most popular in all of the Pike National Forest, which extends from the Mt. Evans area all the way south to Pikes Peak. The trailhead is easy to find (its just off US 24 outside of Manitou Springs) and it provides a nice taste of the varied terrain in the mountains above the Springs. From the highest points of the trail above the canyon, you get nice views of Pikes Peak and Cheyenne Mountain, as well as unique-looking cliffs that are the remnants of an ancient sea. This trail is what is generally referred to as a "lollipop loop" as the actual loop doesn't start until about a third of the way into the hike. At this point, you have the option to take either direction, which will eventually end up at the same place. For this hike, I decided to go straight, which results in a moderate climb up to the trail's summit (both directions appear to be about the same level of difficulty). As the trail climbs, the forest starts to thin out, providing the great views of majestic Pikes Peak and Colorado Springs below. As the loop takes you further east, the landscape changes dramatically, revealing the cliffs I mentioned earlier. On the whole, this is a great hike for any skill level.

Due to its popularity, I recommend doing this hike on a week day if possible. Although there is a large parking area at the trailhead, spaces fill up very fast on the weekend and the trail can be quite congested. From Colorado Springs, take US 24 west through Manitou Springs; the trailhead comes up very quickly on the right side of the road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb