Leaf Peeping


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
September 30th 2017
Published: October 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Leaf Peeping at Kenosha Pass




After waiting for the rain to stop which lasted about a week, we finally got out to see some fall colors in Colorado. One of the top places for fall colors on my web searches was Kenosha Pass. We also chose this destination because it was fairly close (just over an hour away). Our drive to Kenosha Pass took us down 470 and then to 285 through the towns of Conifer, Pine and Bailey. It was a nice drive with a little congestion when the highway reduced down to one lane. Most of the color you saw was green and yellow. The Aspen trees were producing a vibrant yellow in some areas. Arriving at the pass there were cars everywhere parked along the road. We decided to avoid this congestion and drive a little further up to the South Park marker/monument and lookout. We drove a little further and took at dirt road that gave us some pretty nice views of open space with the snow topped mountains as a backdrop. On our way back we found a spot to pull over and take a few pics but decided not to do the hike to avoid the crowd. By this time we were getting hungry so decided to stop at the hot dog stand we saw on the way up. It was a small food stand shaped like a hot dog located in Bailey, CO. The name Coney Island was sort of a coincidence since it was also the name of our island on Lake Waconia. There was also a little art gallery/gift shop next to it and a seating area. The line was fairly long so we figured it must be worth the wait so we got in line. Jeff ordered the elk brat with poblano corn relish and chipotle cream and I had the footlong with carmelized onions and beer mustard. The dogs were pretty good but the hand cut fries were even better! The location was along a stream/river (not sure what they call it in CO yet) just off the Hwy which was a pretty view while enjoying our lunch. After filling our bellies and taking a few more pics, we headed back for home. It was a nice drive and I was happy that I was able to get some more great shots of Colorado!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb