Mountains and animals of Rocky Mountain NP


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.4879, -106.836

We got up this morning and headed out to Rocky Mountain NP. This time we drove thru the entire park. What beautiful scenery! Similar, but different than the Sierras. Stacy really wanted to see a moose during this trip and low and behold we saw a bunch of cars on the side of the road near a wetland and we stopped. There was a female moose about 100 feet from where we stood. She was feeding. She hung around for around five minutes and then headed away into the field. While we were watching her a huge male appeared by her side. What luck! A little while later we saw a marmot being harassed by a bird. It must have been near the birds nest. Later we saw an elk out in a large field.
We left the park and headed toward Steamboat Springs. Some people told us to get on I-70 and go thru the Eisenhower tunnel. When we got on the freeway, traffic was going about 20mph because one lane was closed. Boring! We had 26 miles to go before we would get off of the freeway. But, after about 7 miles both lanes opened up and we took off. We were a little disappointed with the view after the tunnel after being in the park.
We finally got off of the freeway and back on to the 2 lane highway. I was wishing that I had brought the Porsche because the road had tons of sweeping turns almost all of the way to Steamboat Springs and no traffic!
Tomorrow we take US40 across the rest of Colorado and most of Utah. I will probably do one more blog after we get home with the total mileage any other highlights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb