Homeward bound


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
June 15th 2012
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.6252, -121.328

We left Steamboat Springs early in the morning and headed toward Heber City on US40. We stopped at Dinosaur National Monument in Utah for a look see. They have a building that covers the side of a hill with all kinds of dinosaur fossil bones sticking out. It said that they removed over 300 fossils before they stopped removing them and just excavated around the remaining ones so the public could see them. It was very interesting. We arrived in Heber City, spent the night and left the next day. We didn't want to drive thru Salt Lake City, so I found a way around it on highway 189 and then a shortcut to the freeway on route 92. That way we didn't have to go into Provo either. Big mistake! The road was pretty good for a while, then it got narrower and narrower. It was also climbing in altitude. By the time we realized it wasn't going to be a shortcut we were too far along to turn back. The view was great! We were comming around a hairpin turn headed up and all of a sudden there was a bicyclist flying down the road in our lane. All I could do was put on the brakes. He made an evasive maneuver and swerved around us. Last we saw he was continuing on down the mountain at breakneck speeds. We also had to stop to let a deer move over to the side of the road. We finally got on to the freeway about an hour later than we had planned. So much for shortcuts!
We arrived in Battle Mountain for our last night. Not much there at all. We watched some TV, Stacy read, I played Angry Birds and then to bed. The next morning we headed home.
We got home around 3 PM Thursday after 3,317 miles. We averaged 25.1 mpg, which I guess isn't too bad concidering we spent alot of time at 80mph and a little stint at 115mph and all of the altitude.
Thanks to everyone for following our blog and the comments. The next trip is to southern Italy in September.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb