Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Montrose
September 13th 2013
Published: September 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday, the 11th we left Canon City and traveled for miles with the Arkansas River on one side and steep cliffs on the other. We then traveled up and through Monarch Pass (altitude 11,312 feet) and then down the other side. Being on a 2-lane highway rather than an Interstate made the mountain crossing quite dramatic, as well as a bit of a challenge for Lindsay. We stopped for lunch at Blue Mesa Lake, the largest body of water in Colorado.







On Thursday the 12th we were in Montrose, Colorado, and spent the morning at Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. It was spectacular. It is called Black Canyon, because the walls are so steep and the gorge is so narrow that sunlight reaches down to the river only at mid-day. The National Park Service did a wonderful job of providing lookout points slightly off the road. They were perched right at the edge of the cliffs, providing spectacular views all around, especially if you dared to lean out over the railings. I hope our pictures convey the magnitude and beauty we experienced.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



13th September 2013

Wonderful!!!!!!! Wonderful!!!!
Great pictures!! Thrilling to look at!! Wish we had not gone down into Taos NM and explored more in that whole area where you are. Love those high places as long as I have something to hold on to. :)) We did Independence Pass out of Aspen that was way up there and I know what you mean about the two lanes etc: A exhilarating scare to say the least. My! My! what fun. Thanks!!
14th September 2013
Arkansas River

Great pictures!
Looks like you guys are having some great weather & visiting some spectacular places. Hope all is going well.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb