Stub Creek Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Fort Collins
August 11th 2019
Published: August 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

This morning we awoke to a cloudy almost stormy morning. My usual morning coffee on the porch was anything but usual. The squirrel and the chipmunks were very subdued, but the birds took over for the entertainment. The starlings were all over and joined by three robins scurrying around the ground looking for worms I think. Our usual hummingbird was joined by a second and a woodpecker showed up checking out all the trees in our front yard. Great entertainment with morning coffee.



Today our goal was to seek out the moose that are said to be abundant in this area of Colorado. When I worked here in the late 60’s a moose sighting was very rare since the numbers had dramatically dropped. In the 70’s and 80’s a private donor funded the reintroduction of moose in this area with great success. They have appeared at Stub Creek in recent years, but not during our visit so far. After breakfast we headed towards Chambers Lake and Cameron Pass where a high concentration of moose have been reported. Our travels where rewarded with a female moose and her calf near Chambers lake. They were both in the thickest woods so no pictures were possible and approaching a moose with a calf is not smart. To cap off the day we saw two more near Cameron Pass. Such magnificent animals. Still no pictures. Maybe better luck tomorrow. We are driving to another moose area known as Long Valley. Maybe some picture opportunity. That is it for now. Tomorrow will be our last day at Stub Creek. It has been wonderful and a perfect way to recover from my mountain biking accident.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0145s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb