The NEW Downtown Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
September 6th 2017
Published: September 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Save all to OneDrive - Personal


I have been to Denver probably close to twenty times. It is always a great place to visit, dine, drink, carouse, and watch my Giants beat the Rockies. Perhaps these are some more interesting things to do.



1. Win a dildo at erotic bingo. Mooney's in LoDo has Bingo every Monday at 7pm. It is also called "Forbidden Bingo" as a sexy play on the popular senior citizen game. You can also win blow up dolls, and vibrating rings. Most importantly, drinks are 50%!o(MISSING)ff until 11pm.



2. Head over to Barcade for a modern take on "bar meets arcade" that only Denver can do. They have both classic and modern arcade games, 45 games, and 16 pinballs machines, Skee-Ball and Giant Jenga. Not to mention a great local beer selection. Two other places are Monkey Barrel Bar, and Star Bar.



3. Nibble on psychedelic candy at your local "butt-tender" (cannabis house). You can also get edibles like chocolate bars, mints and gummies that are just as delicious as Sour Patch Kids, but with a more psychedelic effect instead of just a sugar rush. Warning: While they taste just like candy, I wouldn’t recommend having more than one at a time and seeing how you respond to it. They’re strong! (quoting their web site).



4. Share a house with strangers with Air BnB. Just make sure to get one close to light rail, or the train to downtown.



5. Visit Denver's great bookstore, the Tattered Cover Book Store. Grab a Vail Mountain Roasters Coffee inside, along with single origin chocolate, and a decadent pastry before diving into bargain books, classic, and indie titles.



6. Grab some exotic meats at Biker Jim's, a hot dog place with a unique menu. They have sustainably raised elk, wild boar, rattlesnake, reindeer, buffalo, pheasant, and duck. Hot dogs are $6, and smothered with organic vegetables, celery powder and sea salt. They even have a bat dog, sweet and smokey.



7. Try some improv at Comedy Works, or Voodoo Comedy Playhouse. They have old fashioned comedy, along with twenty improv comedy events, karaoke, and even an improv school. See that, Barry the V!



8. Try some really unexpected dishes at TAG Continental Social Food for atypical dishes that push the boundary of creative cuisine. The chef's Hawaiian upbringing and travels throughout the world result in tacos filled with sushi, crispy duck leg in chicken sausage, and seared yellow tail crusted in pop rocks.



9. Dive into the "Brothel Burger" at Ophelia's. The Brothel is an ostrich burger topped with miso candied bacon, ponzu onions, and pickled veggies on a pretzel bun. Why brothel? The building was once a seductive peep show parlor, brothel, and literotica shop.



10. My kind of place is the Black Eye Coffee Shop. They have fresh coffee in a variety of drips, cortaditos, and artistic lattes. Among breakfast items are the corn dog Bloody Mary, oxtail chilaquiles, and confit friend chicken and biscuits.



11. After all of this eating and drinking, there is still time to catch a cabaret show at Lannie's Clocktower Cabaret. They feature burlesque with raunchy comedy, sexy 90's swing, offbeat magic shows, celebrity impersonators, and an educational class called Spanking and Martinis Booty School.



For as many times as I have been here, I have never been to any of these places. They must be relatively new.



Also new:



A. The new A Line train of course, from Union Station, out to the "new" Denver airport about a half hour east of the city. Just 37 minutes from downtown to the airport, so I can get rid of my rental car a day earlier. The airport fare is $9. It should work out well for me!



B. The new B-Cycle, bicycle sharing program in downtown Denver. Just $9 for 24 hours of riding in 30 minute segments, with 87 stations. They even have a B-cycle app. Best of all, they have a "Pub of the Month Club, with 2 for 1 beers, at eight selected breweries. Wait! You cannot drink and ride with my understanding of the vehicle code. Anyway, in September, it will be Diebolt Brewery at 39th and Fox.



Here is a little secret. Back in the 70s, I actually considered moving to the Denver area, more likely Boulder or Evergreen. I am so glad I did not do that, but it was tempting, with the skiing, the Rockies, and many crazy friends.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0231s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb