Beer Heaven: Great American Beer Fest


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
September 24th 2009
Published: October 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Blue Bear wants a drink!Blue Bear wants a drink!Blue Bear wants a drink!

This big sculpture peers in the windows of the Denver Convention Center
The Great American Beer Fest - Beer heaven... beer haven... Over 2,000 different beers - most on tap, some bottled, all available for our tasting pleasure 😊 According to the Guinness Book of World Records, there is no other place on earth where a beer aficionado can find more beers on tap.

This annual event allows people - over 49,000 this year - to sample more than 2,000 different beers from all over the country, from large and small breweries alike. Tons of wonderful beer to taste...sign me up! I first heard about this event on the radio and immediately knew I just HAD to check it out. Tickets are only $55, but they sell out fast, so you need to get them as soon as you can. I went on Thursday night, which was opening night.

Let me tell you, its probably one of the best and most fun events I've ever been to, and Ill be buying my ticket early for next year, too!

As you walk in the convention center, its overwhelming at first. Beer, beer, as far as you can see. You walk in, and trade your ticket for a wristband and a plastic glass, and then they let you free to wander and drink as much as you can for four hours.

2000+ beers from 400+ breweries, yes please. This place gets you sufficiently and completely drunk on beers you would normally never even know about. At first it was like being a kid at the Wonka factory for the first time ever, eyes wide, drinking as much as you can, as fast as you can.

The whole place is like one huge party, and the rowdiness intensifies by the end of the night, and everyone you run into is smiling from ear to ear from the sheer joy of being there. The whole place erupts with " OOOOOOHH's" every time someone drops their plastic tasting glass - which happens more often then you'd think, and more and more often the later it got during the evening! Some people are really into it and dress up. Gorillas, German Beer Girls (and guys), lots of scottish kilts, beer hats, beer necklaces, beer cap earrings, beer "teams", Duff Man, you name it, they're there drinking! The creativity definitely added to the event.

I am still in awe of the sheer size and the mass amounts of beers available for sampling. There is no way you can try them all, but its fun to experiment with random flavors and varieties from the different parts of the country. Some of the ones I tried (or at least remember trying!) included: Watermelon Beers, Pumpkin Ales, Strawberry Short Cake Beer, Ales, IPA's, every fruit beer imaginable... yum yum!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

CoorsCoors
Coors

Trust them to have this cool mountain that sprayed out snow!


23rd October 2009

Fun Time
It sonds like you had a great time. I hope you had a ride home. BTW, I really like you hair in the picture! Dad
25th October 2009

Hysterical!
Heather, this does look so cool. Just watching the glasses drop has to be hysterical. Thank you for broadening my knowledge...... Love, Aunt Kim

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb