Day 5 of our honeymoon


Advertisement
Published: April 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We woke up early today to go experience the Pike's Peak Cog Railway. When we got there the ticket lady told us that they were discounting the tickets because it would not be possible to go all the way to the summit today. In fact, the tour guide on the train said that they had not been able to summit for three weeks now. Snow drifts from higher up the mountain were breaking and falling onto the tracks, so we only went up to 12,129 feet elevation - to Windy Point section house. As we got closer to our stopping point, the snow got so deep! One of the photos shows it all the way up to the top of the windows on the train car - the guide said that was 10 feet deep! We got a lot of great photos on the way up and back down, but I'm sorry for the glare on the windows in a lot of the shots. Despite not going to the summit, we were still gone for about 2 1/2 hours and we enjoyed the live commentary. One of the most interesting things I learned was that it was on this mountain that Katherine Lee Bates wrote the words to "America, the Beautiful" and you just get chills taking in those views.

After we got back to the bottom, we drove into the old historic downtown area of Manitou Springs, where we had old western photos taken at an old west photo boutique. Brad said that I made a very good western hooker . . . I guess that's a compliment? :P Brad was very good at doing the serious cowboy from the 1800s but the photographer had a hard time trying to make him smile.

After that we grabbed a bite to eat and then went to the Garden of the Gods and spent the rest of the afternoon there until it started raining.

Tomorrow we are heading towards Denver . . .

Stay tuned!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



27th April 2009

I love reading about your trip. Sounds like you are having a great time. Thanks for sharing. Love the pictures!
27th April 2009

Your trip doesn't smell like pets !
Shane, Brad - What a great way to share your new life adventure by the way of this blog! I especially like the rock painting. You are having the time of your life and your trip will never "STINK" as the House for Sale does. Love, Janet, your sister in NC.

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb