sLc


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We pulled into Salt Lake City June 4th, late in the evening. Just looking for a place to pass the night, we found a spot in the outskirt residential. Bryant came down and visited us and after some banter, me and Ben rode into town in search of a coffeeshop. After some searching, we found the Salt Lake Coffee Break welcoming and after ordering drinks, proceeded to spend time writing, reading, and observing. We stayed until 130am when we noticed the rainfall. Without much option, we rode back soaking, fighting liquid arrows with our eyelids. We locked the bikes up and proceeded to change into some dry clothes before sleep took us.

To curve another plot line into the salt lake escapade, the following morning, we were offered breakfast by Ben Fox, a stranger, yet a friend. He discovered Nate's music myspace and enjoyed the sound, got in touch with Nate, and we found ourselves in his hospitality in salt lake. (we were originally thinking of going farther south along the western coast, then through the southwest up to the northeast, but after some discussion, we obliged to backtrack slightly and cut directly east through reno, salt lake, and denver. thank goodness or we may have never met Ben.) So he took us to The Oasis Cafe, where the meal was outstanding. Then he invited us to his place for showers. Every time we thanked him, he just reiterated, "As far as I'm concerned, this is what people are supposed to do for each other. Help each other out." Quite humbling. His place was a visually wonderful overload, with pictures and painting all over the walls. In fact, hard to tell the walls were there, outside of the fact that the art had to be hanging from something. After we swapped stories, he offered to replace our windshield wipers as well. (the wiper incident is outlined in the post "Wide Open") Ben had recommended us to Slowtrain Records and Nobrow coffee, so we hit both the locations. We even got a gig for Saturday night at nobrow. Went farther down to the Ken Sanders bookstore and I purchased "The Golden Compass" which i've already finished. I'd recommend it to anyone. Why it's a children's book is beyond me.

That evening, we chilled at the Salt Lake Coffee Break once again. The night brought its weariness to us and we slept. The next day, we went to Amerigas to fix the propane. The guy hit the propane tank with a hammer and it was fixed. He actually just hit it with a hammer a few times, no exaggeration required. Thankfully, he didn't charge us for the 'repair'. Filled up the propane, filled up the gas tank, and we were back in our parking lot by Trolley Square. (Ben F. had connections with the security there, so we had a parking spot there through 5pm Saturday. And on Friday, while we were asleep, they put up valet parking cones and the section they closed off...we were parked in. And since no one over the next two days took up the valet parking offer, we had a mini-lot to ourselves to throw a disc, hacky sack, or kick a ball around. Basically, we were VIP, with security guarding our motorhome through the duration of our stay.)

Friday night, Daniel and Ali came up from Logan/Ogden and we hung out. My old sandals broke so we snagged some new ones from Smith's for $3.50. If they last me another week, i'll be happy. We just perused the city and chatted a bit. After some hearty conversation and laughter, Daniel and Ali departed for work the following morning, planning on coming back the following evening for our show. Chilled the night away and found ourselves in Ben's generosity again for breakfast the following morning. After another delicious meal, we tried our hand at busking in the downtown salt lake area. Before arriving there, my bike had some rear axle trouble and we had to take it apart to figure out nothing really, then put it back together to have it work again. Yet I was not willing to use the brakes to have them fail, so I used the $3.50 sandals. They seem to be holding up just fine. We only left ourselves 40 minutes to busk, yet we made great money for the time we played. $25 dollars in 40 minutes is quite amazing. We made it back to the motorhome at 5:00 and were able to easily find a place in front of nobrow coffee. I found myself at the Salt Lake Roasting Co. for a few hours until our show, reading and drawing. (i've been doing some ridiculous sketches and art styles. I will try to take pictures and post them on a blog here pretty soon.) Once 7:30 rolled up, we got our stuff together and over the next 30 minutes got set up on nobrow's PA system and got everything mixed to the point that is was muddy, but balanced. 8:00 came and the place was packed........with empty chairs and hence, an amplified acoustic sound. Daniel and Ali arrived and we started the show with about six people in the place. We didn't mind.

A few songs in Ben walked in and we let everyone know of his hospitality. After the show, we chilled outside the motorhome, throwing a disc, chatting, eating food. Bryant caught the last part of the show and he was outside with us as well. Ben ran to his place to burn us some music and the rest of us just kicked it for awhile. Daniel and Ali left and we said our goodbyes. (happy birthday dawg) Some passerby stopped to talk, although inebriated, and we had a good chat about The Beatles musical greatness and turning points, hockeys latest games, california hook ups, shootin the breeze and the like. Ben arrived with the music (12 cd's) and we said our thanks and exchanged farewells. Our new found friends walked away and we were left to the night, to Roci, to the the road east to Denver.

As Scott, one of the three latter-folk, said, "I hate them. But I love people." Take from that what you will.

-Sam

Advertisement



13th June 2008

Wow!
Samuel, I thoroughly enjoy your blogs and have been following your antics from day one. Yes, from the drastic drop in gas prices to the couch potato rally...don't you just hate the California high rent? **lol** Your tales are amusing and definitely entertaining. Have you guys thought of video taping the entire road trip and sending it to MTV? It worked for Napolean Dynomite! If so, remember me when you are rich! **big cheesy smile** You will be getting some new sandals from me for Christmas!

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb