The Family Comes to Visit


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Canon City
August 21st 2009
Published: December 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mom, Dad and Brett all came to visit for four days-- this is the first time they've all come to visit at once, and we got to see some great sights.

The first day, we drove down past Colorado Springs to Royal Gorge Bridge in Canon City. I made the mistake of saying it wasn't too far from Colorado Springs, which for some reason I really thought was true, but it was actually an hour past Colorado Springs, so almost 3 hours one way... a bit more than we really wanted. Dad says he remembers visiting here when he was a kid with his family, but I bet it's changed a lot since then! Today, they market themselves as "Royal Gorge Bridge and Park - Colorado's Natural Wonder" but most of the stuff there had little to do with Nature. Besides the bridge, there's an Aerial Tram, Incline Railway and Skycoaster.

The Royal Gorge Bridge is the highest suspension bridge in the world, overlooking the wild Arkansas River. It was built in 1929, but from the beginning it was meant as a tourist attraction, not for transportation. It's 1053 feet above the river. You can walk across the bridge, or drive your vehicle, but the bridge is only 18 feet wide, so the cars had it slow going with all the pedestrians walking along.

First we took the Aerial Tram across the Gorge, then saw the elk and buffalo, walked across the bridge, then we took the world's steepest incline railway down to the River, over 1550 feet down.

The next day we went to Boulder, and mom and I got to shop in some of the stores while Brett and Dad hung out in some bars. We drove by Boulder Falls, but we couldn't see the whole waterfall because they had it cordoned off, I guess because of rocks falling. We drove into Nederland, where once again the guys hung out at the bar while the women shopped 😊.

Sunday, we went to see the Rockies play at Coors Field. It was a gorgeous sunny day, we got to tailgate a bit before the game, and even though the Rockies parking was like a mile from the stadium (which dad complained about every 2 minutes 😱 ) it was a good day. There was a sell-out crowd, and the Rockies beat the Giants 4-2 in a crucial game in the National League wild-card race.

It was a wonderful weekend, and I hope they come visit again soon!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



25th December 2009

We Loved It!
Great weather and a lot of fun. We will have to all do it together again. Brett will have to earn some time off at his new job first, though. Love, Dad

Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 20; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb