Over the hill in Black Hawk, Colorado


Advertisement
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

I normally wouldn’t write a TravelBlog entry for a domestic trip, but this is about my 40th birthday celebration extravaganza, and it has been a while...

I felt a kitschy vibe coming on as my 40th birthday approached... a sort of Frank-Constanza-Elvis-in-the-70’s-Rhinestone-Vegas-Jumpsuit-White-Patent-Leather-Shoes-1982-Lincoln-Town-Car-With-Leather-Seats-Paul-Newman-Color-of-Money kind of feel. As the 40th approached I felt like embracing the inevitability of the impending over the hill, golden year, silver fox lifestyle that, although still on the distant horizon, is closer at 40 than it ever has been before.

Wait... I don't have any hair on my head at 40, so would that make it an impending bald fox lifestyle rather than an impending silver fox lifestyle? Deep thoughts... by Drew Labbo...

I have enjoyed Vegas ***and have left quite a lot that has stayed in Vegas*** the few times I’ve been there, but it’s not really my thing. Instead I chose to follow my kitsch Americana style 40th bday instinct and make my way to Black Hawk, Colorado for some debauchery and gambling with my girl Becky and some of my best and closest friends.

Fortunately I think during our time in Black Hawk we were more like Peter Pan and the Lost Boys and Girls rather than like a bunch of geezers. We are as young as we act and feel!

Although I've never really made a big deal about my birthday, I figured it is my duty as an American and a human being to do something extra for my 40th. As I had plotted the bday celebration details in my mind, I had grand visions of getting on a blue haired casino bus from Golden and riding up, but when it came down to it I figured I should save the bus for a day trip (or when I'm getting too old and lazy to drive!).

Black Hawk is nestled in the foothills about a 50 minute drive west of Denver at just a bit over 8,000 feet elevation. The drive on Highway 6 to Black Hawk from the Golden area traverses Clear Creek Canyon, a scenic drive on a twisty and winding road above Clear Creek (the water that Coors beer is made from), through tunnels, and beneath mammoth and sheer walls of rock.

The tiny city is a historic mining settlement that was founded in 1859 during the Pike's Peak Gold Rush. The area boomed in late 19th century after the construction of mills and a railroad link to Golden, but declined during the 20th century. Since casino gambling was made legal in 1991 the area has come back to life. How's that for a little Claiven-esque knowledge? It is, after all, a TravelBlog!

In Black Hawk we stayed at the Isle of Capri, a real classy joint that is so classy they decorate their elevator floors with hundred dollar bills. I mean, really, it doesn’t get any classier than Black Hawk, Colorado now does it??!!! Annual revenue for the Isle of Capri Casino at Black Hawk is $50 - $100 million depending on the year. All 238 rooms in the hotel were completely booked on this random weekend in April while my friends and I were there. Not bad for a casino off the beaten path in a tiny little town up in the foothills.

In the casino we navigated the dregs of humanity mixed in with the occasional normal-type partier people. The majority of people seemed to be out of the wood work, like a collection of shoppers from thrift stores and pawn shops gathered together for the thrill of a chance to hit it big. Like all casinos there was plenty of fear and loathing to go around, but there was also plenty of fun!!!!

I sat with friends at a Black Jack table and lost $100 in a couple of hours, so we all took a break and had a few more cocktails back in my hotel room. When we returned to gamble more, I lost another $100 in another hour or two, so I ponied up for $100 more in gambling chips.

At that point the dealer hit 4 black jacks in a row (which I have NEVER seen before in a few years playing black jack!!!), so that was another $40 gone lickety split. He laughed and shook his head. I grabbed my chips and stepped to the next table. I bet the remaining $60 at once, and the dealer at this other table hit black jack so that was gone too.

“F*ck you too!” I yelled at the dealer, who stood silently with a perplexed look.

“This is bullsh*t, I’m done!” I rambled on while walking toward the hotel elevators.

I hadn't had a chance to throw dice yet, but I didn't feel like losing any more $$$, so I decided I was done with gambling and headed back to the room. Most others in our crew had also lost about the same amount as I did. The night rolled on into a few more hours of late night laughter and drinking with some of my closest friends, a couple of visits from securit-ay, and then finally faded into a restless night fueled by vodka and energy drinks. In the morning Becky and I enjoyed the champagne brunch buffet, which I must admit was pretty damn tasty!

Black Hawk fit the mold just fine for my kitschy vibe.

I hope they appreciate my $300 donation.

As much as the trip confirmed for me that I'm not a big gambler, I can't help but want to go back before too long.

(KEEP SCROLLING DOWN TO SEE MORE PHOTOS)


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

I will valet tonight!!!I will valet tonight!!!
I will valet tonight!!!

"Take it easy on the brakes, Champ."


4th May 2011

Dude, you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em'! Sounds like a fun time and I wish that I had been there to unleash a drunken puke on the $100 bill carpet. You are my hero!
13th July 2017

Thanks
I'm a 70 year old geezer trying out Blackhawk for the first time this coming November. Fine to read about it. Thanks for the post.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb