C4 at the San Jose Airport


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
August 11th 2006
Published: August 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Luggage LoadedLuggage LoadedLuggage Loaded

Our rental car was a wee bit too small to hold all of our luggage in the trunk

Day 7 - August 11, 2006


Friday, our last day in California, was spent on basic housekeeping. We quickly dispatched 3 loads of laundry (just imagine how much laundry I could get thru at home if I had 3 washers and dryers at my disposal!) and worked out at the hotel exercise facility simultaneously. We then managed to get a late breakfast at a place called "The Country Way." The french toast was the best we have ever eaten, made with sourdough bread (why was I surprised?) and the portions were huge. Our waitress, Tess, was a hoot. It should also be noted that four of Fremont's finest were there in uniform, grabbing a bite to eat. It was a great way to start a day sure to be full of stress.

New TSA regulations greatly affected how we packed and what we had to toss. The bottle of wine that we bought at Rutherford Hill had to be shipped home. We finally made it to the airport (only two hours before the flight) and checked in while Scott returned the rental. I know he arranged it this way because Austin wanted to keep the walking stick he had found,
Kids LoadedKids LoadedKids Loaded

After squeezing the kids in the back seat, we were finally off to our hotel
and the only way to take it was to check it as baggage. I guess the airline ticketing agent has seen it all, because he didn't even bat an eye when I told informed him that we had six bags and one "stick." I ask you, how many dads would ask an agent to check a "stick?" Who can dispute that moms do all the dirty work?

Our wait at the airport check-in counter was at most five minutes, and we sailed through security (no one was in front of us at all). All in all, every experience that we have had at the San Jose airport has been positive. Very little fuss all around, even the security personnel are pleasant and courteous. The only slightly disconcerting thing was that our flight left from gate C4 (right after all the stories about explosives).

It was late when we arrived in Denver (with the funny white top). Scott went to get the rental, but it was just a bit too small for our luggage. By the time we got to the hotel, it was very late and everyone's patience was depleted. Luckily, we were greeted by a great bellhop named Malone, and we were feeling better by the time we settled in for the night. (Our hotel had elevations listed for each floor (Denver being the Mile High City). We were on the 5th floor, and our elevation was 5410 feet.)

Not even one week into our trip, and already Robert has declared that "No day has been a good day!" I reminded Scott that we are not doing this trip for a specific kid's desires, but for our family as a whole. It is said that the family that eats and plays together, stays together. Maybe soon we'll be able to stop at just one fast food place for lunch! (Does it count if we are all eating in the car at the same time?) A noted parenting "guru" has said that the more deprived our kids feel, the better off they will be. Accordingly, Robert should be "better off" than any other kid in the U.S. right now.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb