Leaving the fire to go to Bryr Studios in San Francisco


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
November 10th 2018
Published: November 14th 2018
Edit Blog Post

While our trip started on a Saturday morning the 10th, the drama started on Thursday night on the 8thwhen the Woosley fire struck through Oak Park. There was a mandatory evacuation at midnight, so we took the kids to stay at George and Heathers house in South Pasadena. Luckily, our suitcases of clothes were packed in advance of the evacuation, so Tory’s good idea to get our valuables packed after the kids went to bed made it easy to leave when the evacuation orders were given. Sadly, many homes were lost in Oak Park, Westlake Village, and Malibu. We stayed glued to the news all night and day Friday about an hour away from all the danger and smoke.

We took the opportunity to spend time with Connor and Heather in the morning as we walked down to a place called “Amy’s Playground.” We stopped and watched the light rail train much to the boy’s delight. At the playground, it was wild fun to get their energy out, and then lunch at a tasty pizza place across the street. Naptime was much needed for everyone after the long night before, as everyone slept before George came home with George and Brooke from school. Playing all together was fun with some board games and toys, then we headed to dinner and had some hamburgers and fries all together. George and Brooke had soccer practice with their Dad as coach, and we ended the night with a fun board game of “Clue” with Brooke, Heather, and Steve.

The morning of the 10th we headed to Burbank Airport and flew to San Jose to meet Susie and George. Everyone was excited to spend some time together, but Steve and Tory were also excited to go on a San Francisco daytrip. Tory got a gift card from her sister-in-laws for her 40th birthday to a shoe store called Bryr Studios that was the main reason to go to the city, the only bad timing was there was a sample sale that made the store packed. With some help from Katherine and Jenn ia Marco Polo, she picked out some shoes, while Steve tried to be patient watching her shoe shop (Truly, one of the most difficult things to do in life.) He went next door to the store to Triple Voodoo Brewery to watch football instead. Back in San Jose for a home-cooked dinner by Susie was great, and we were all able to settle into our beds with the exciting few days ahead of us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.09s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb