Fourth of July in the middle of the Pacific


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Ventura
July 6th 2006
Published: July 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

sleeping in the sheltersleeping in the sheltersleeping in the shelter

pooped after the boat ride!!!
Hello all you blog-a-holics!
We are back in the USA though we are still travelers at heart. I spent last weekend (July 1 - July4) out on Santa Rosa Island 42 miles off the coast of California in the Channel Islands National Park. The island was epic and the company was fantastic.
Prior to departure Abby and I had a chance to spend time with my brother as he was visiting California in preparation for his upcoming MBA program. It was great to see him and spend some time together. I loof forward to connecting with the rest of my family in a month or so, however, it was great to see Josh and find out he is doing great.
Abby did not join me on the camping trip, however, I was in the company of my college roommates Raky and Justin. The trip out to Snata Rosa Island takes three hours and much to our dismay it was directly into the winfd in some beefy seas. We had a great time the previous night and the trip was a little bit harrowing. WE were more than happy to touch land and make for our campsite. Once at the camp site we passed the f$%& out.
Second day on the Island we took a nice hike through Lobo Canyon then overland along the rim of Cow Canyon then back to our campsite. The landscape was like a highlights real of California classics. We saw sage brush and rolling meadows as well as wind swept sandstone cliffs and granite coastline with sandy beaches.
Third day we had a beach hike in the morning and then a little siesta. Mid-afternoon we hiked to the top of Black Mountain (the nearest easily accesible peak), the view was awesome, wicked awesome! On the return trip we saw the endangered Island Fox and stopped to roll rocks down a hillside, it was actually really entertaining, I guess you had to be there. If anyone was wondering we confirmed that humans are just big monkeys.
Our last day on the Island (Independance Day) we hiked out to a grove of Torrey Pines (endemic to the islands and San Diego) and they were really cool. Similar to other pines though slightly different. They had fairly long needles that grew in groups of five and looked pretty formidable. They did provide some welcome shade as most of the island is exposed and there was non-stop sunshine.
The return boat trip was beautiful, mellow seas and great scenerry. We got a tour of Santa Cruz island which is littered with Sea Caves and abundant fauna. Highlights were Brown Pelicans and Common Dolphins. We rounded out the jopurney with MSG laiden chinese food for dinner and then we sent Justiin back to SF via the Ventura airport. Raky and I headed back to Long Beach and lucked out with fireworks directly outside his living room window.
Yesterday, Abby and I visited with her cousin Sid who is finishing up an MFA in dance at UCLA. She gave us a tour of Venice Beach and we had a great time talking shop and life.
I'll get some pictures up here eventually, believe it or not, we haven't even looked at all our travel pics yet.
That's all for me, sorry if it's dry, but I am trying to keep a record so I can remember all these amazing adventures.
We'll keep you posted on further adventures.
Happy Birthday America and all our love to all you friends and family members.

Love ya,
Benji



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

boys on the hillboys on the hill
boys on the hill

after a long hike


7th July 2006

No Hanta No Hanta No Hanta
My favorite part of the trip was not getting The Hanta.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb