In Search of the Lizard's Mouth


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Santa Barbara
October 25th 2015
Published: October 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Santa Barbara is backed by a long, high mountain range. Anyone that know us knows we are drawn to mountains. Even though we've probably trekked most of the trails here in the past we're always looking for new ones or happy to repeat our favourite from before.

One we discovered over a year ago was called 'The Playground' it had been difficult to find the start of the trail but once on it was an adventure of scrambling through a path overgrown with shrubs opening out at some huge rock formations overlooking the ocean in the distance. This time finding the path was just as difficult but after searching we found it and instantly recognised it. The shrubs seemed higher and more scratchy than before as we wound our way along the path, should have put long sleeves on but as the temperature was well over 80 degrees F that wasn't really an option.

We finally emerged from the scrub and found ourselves at the huge rocks, they seemed higher and more daunting but not ones for giving up we scrambled around and squeezed through narrow gaps to get the best views. I'd been reading about rattle snakes and ticks in these mountains so was a little nervous as I grabbed hold of rocks and tree branches.

Anyway I lived to tell the tale!

From 'The Playground' we carried on along the road to Lizard's mouth, again we'd been here before but it was worth a second visit. After another long but easier rock scramble we came across it and took the usual photos.

Next stop was on the highest peak around here - La Cumbre. From here we had amazing views of either side the ridge road - one way to the ocean and the other way to the vast range of barren mountains know as Santa Barbara Back Country. This view never fails to intrigue me no matter how often I see it.

Well of course to end the perfect day we drove back 'home' and took a cooling dip in the pool before beans on toast for tea and then off to the James Joyce Jazz Club.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

A cooling dip in the poolA cooling dip in the pool
A cooling dip in the pool

Pefect end to a perfect day!


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb