South Pacific Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego
November 3rd 2014
Published: November 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Still getting used to my Ipad Mini so haven't been posting, plus we are now at sea and the service is dreadful. Have not had internet throughout the entire voyage. So here it is, late, hading home in an hour



Day One - San Diego



A beautiful day, sunshine and great friends. Joined Bob and Bev for breakfast and then Bob drove to San Diego University so I could admire the architecture. It is a beautiful campus, Spanish with a touch of Moorish and set hight above the city. The view was to die for. Then we stopped at their home to sit, relax, look at pictures, drink Champaign and reminisce. Then headed back to my hotel on Shelter Island for an early lunch overlooking the marina. It's so great to see them, always so much laughter.



Day Two - Menifee



Checked out of the Island Palms and drove up to see Linda & Toni and pick up Marylou. While I was checking out, a Navy vessel, a floating dry dock, sailed into port. There are giant cranes on deck that allow smaller boats to be lifted right out of the water for repairs. Imagine.



As always I am treated royally at what I have named the B K B Manor. The puppies barked their welcome but not for too long and my room was ready and waiting. Shamus the cat ignored me except to give me a dirty look. I think he knows ML is leaving with me.



We headed to Temecula to watch Joshua, Linda's grandson, run a cross county race. He is just starting Middle School and beginning training so he didn't win but he did finish the two mile run. His mother Kari was there with Baby Brooklyn who is a little doll and she amused herself with Cinderella.



The meal that night was probably the best I will enjoy of this trip. We had pesto chicken and mushroom grilled on skewers and spaghetti squash with a salad of greens, watermelon, feta cheese dressed with balsamic. All this accompanied by a chardonnay. Absolutely perfect eating on the patio with the water fountain gurgling in the garden.



Day Three - Menifee



While Marylou finished her packing, Linda and I paid a visit to the local Indian tribe and made a small contribution to their coffers. It was fun to sit at the poker table; it has been so long since I played. Another delicious and low calorie meal of chicken Alfredo pizza with broccoli.



Day Four - San Diego



ML and I drove down to San Diego and hoped for a early checkin. No luck there but we were upgraded to a suite, so we stored our bags and drove to Antony's on the Pier for a late lunch with Bob and Bev. The was their first meeting with Marylou and I knew they really liked her. We were at the window overlooking the Harbor and watched a large Navy ship sail by, heading for the yard. The hotel where I stay has two views, the Marina and the Harbor. I personally like the marina, enjoying my morning coffee and watching the "boat people" walk their dogs or sail away but it would also be fun to watch the harbor traffic sailing into and out of the Pacific.



Day Five - Sail Away



Headed to the pier at 11:00 am and what a snafu. We and our bags were dumped at the end of a long line in the boiling sun and had to schlep our bags forward until we reached the porters who picked them up and dumped them in bins. This took and eternity. By now I was just a bit irked and tired. Then it was across the tarmac to join another long line in order to go through security. By this time I was dripping wet and my shirt was drenched. From there we joined yet a third line though this one moved very quickly as I get priority boarding. Then it was another walk across the tarmac to the ship and finally up to our cabin. In all it took us almost two hours to board in the noonday sun. Needless to say I did not have my picture taken.



Our steward greeted us and we asked that the double bed be set up as a twin and then went to lunch. We were seated with six couples and enjoyed our meal. Looking forward to dinner where we have requested a table of six or more.

Back in the cabin one of ML's bags arrived so she unpacked while I watched. Next was the safety drill and that seemed to go on forever for, as always, one or two entitled couples thought the rules didn't apply to them and we stood in the sun for about 30 minutes until they showed up and we were dismissed.



We headed aft for sail away. San Diego Harbor is so varied with naval ships, cruise ships and sail boats all about. We watched our sister ship the Westerdam head out for Mexico. Under the bright blue sky we cleared the pier and headed out rounding Point Loma and entering the Pacific. Our dinner was waiting and we were seated at a table for four. I hope my disappointment wasn't evident and our dinner partners were very nice but I can't imagine dining with just one couple for thirty days. Tomorrow I'll try to change the arrangements.



The sunset was magnificent, one of those glorious ones of gold and red and gray stripes across the sky with pink on the edges. It was a beautiful way to end a stressful day. But wait, we got back to our cabin and the bags had arrived. We I went to unpack, one closet was half full with the spread from the double bed. Had to call for the steward to remove it and also to replace ML's wash clothe and hand towel. Seem he had used them to create the towel animal lying on the bed. Clothes put away and cabin organized, ML headed to the casino while I headed to the balcony for a bit of reading before bed. The stars were shining and the moon was bright, the ship was rocking gently, perfect.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb