Get a haircut


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Went to strange little bit of coast today - full of military shops, barbers & very little else, although did get a decent pizza and bottle of peroni, and big plus saw dolphins off the pier, a pod of around 4/5. Just never gonna get over the thrill of seeing stuff that belongs in the sea there. That was the one good thing about Cook, we saw whales - quite a long way out, but v. lucky as they don’t usually get sighted till June.
Yeah, Oceanside was an odd bit of seaside, it’s near Camp Pendleton which apparently is a bit of a prime posting. Military influence is overwhelming, I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere where there are so many barbers. Despite the numbers there were still queues coming out the door. Hundreds of fresh-faced boys walking round with little circles of hair on the top of their heads. Also a few military girls about, made me wonder why they don’t have to have the came cuts. Luckily I had the foresight not to wear the ‘Make sense not war’ T-shirt, I may not have lasted long. Plenty of military clothing and equipment stores in town, is the issue stuff that bad that they all have to buy their own? Good beach and pier though, waves looked pretty good too, but this Charlie don’t surf.
Have to confess we really haven’t seen a whole lot of San Diego, but the greatest thing we have found here is decent indian food. Googled ‘vegetarian restaurants in San Diego’ and up popped this whole list of restaurants with very similar addresses. Programmed the new girlfriend and off we went, 20 mins drive might seem excessive by english standards but we are in the land of the car. Anyway we ended up at this mall called Little India. Found a place called KER which was just like a larger version of the supermarkets down Southall high street but with an aircraft hangar attached set out with tables and chairs with a huge plasma screen showing Bollywood. For $6.99 there was a pure vegetarian buffet, seconds if you could manage it ( there was a sign asking you not to waste food), big choice of dishes (including desserts) so we just gorged ourselves after the veggie wastelands that we have been travelling through. No alcohol naturally, but we weren’t complaining. Best meal we’ve had for weeks. Big up the sub-continent.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb