A guilty pleasure


Advertisement
Published: May 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Had to swap girlfriends, the last one had a lovely voice but she was just too ‘please herself california’, just kept switching off. Bizarrely this new one has an english accent and behaves very ladlike, positively the school marm, especially when we ignore her directions, she just gets tetchier until we do as we’re told.
So we found ourselves in Santa Barbara, for no better reason than I have some vague memory of a TV show of that name, and of course it’s named after the one I love. It is like being on a tv show set, very much a lifestyle town, went to a couple of nice beaches, almost empty except for people walking designer dogs and the inevitable power walkers. Everyone had those fixed grins that say ‘ No, I don’t have to work either’. First night there we shipped up in a local bar in Montecito, the small town we were staying in, and got chatting to a couple called Lesley and Gary. She’s a diver and he (I think) is the chef for some guy high up in the food chain on ‘Law and Order’. Actually that’s unimportant as for us it’s not what people do that counts, it’s who they are. Fortunately they were really nice ( I could tell because even though we’re in CA they were drinking AND smoking despite the warnings) so several drinks later we found ourselves parting company (they had to go feed the kids). Obviously what we needed to do was go to the bottle shop next door and get a bottle to take to bed, also obviously the next day was pretty much written off. Will we never learn?
The image in my mind that sums up this place is at the same bar the next night at a table outside, right underneath a sign that said ‘No Animals’, sat Schnoodie, a little, old dog on his own directors chair with his name embroidered (not printed) on it eating his very own hamburger. No begging, just being well behaved eating his cut-up burger as it was passed to him. No problem.
Well we did have a good evening, and they do make a very good chocolate martini (this was next day hangover cure). Fun to be back, enjoying being driven round to lovely beaches watching surfers and enjoying the countryside.
We really are enjoying it here. We feel a little guilty as there is a nagging feeling that we have so many political differences with the leadership here we shouldn't be enjoying ourselves so much, but the overwhelming majority of people we meet here are so genuinely friendly and warm we just ignore the feeling and get on with 'pleasing ourselves'.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb