Surfin USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » San Diego » Pacific Beach
November 23rd 2005
Published: November 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The hostel in San Diego was located right on Pacific Beach, which was good because even at this time of the year the temperatures in southern California average about 28 degrees celsius. So what we encountered was several days of blazing heat on a beach, which is good of course.

Looking out on to the beach what you always see is loads of surfers, some great some not so great and others completely unable to do it. But it seems like surfing is a part of the life of almost everyone who lives in the vicinity, not to mention the many holiday makers who go there all the time.

It seemed obvious that we should give surfing a try, and on the Tuesday that we were there a bunch of us (the guys mentioned in the "hooking up" diary entry) hired some boards and wet suits and went out there to give it a shot. To be fair i was pretty much diabolical at it i did plenty of lying down on the board and hitting the waves but only once managed to get even to my knees without falling off. That said i had a lot of fun and just riding the huge waves lying on the board was really thrilling, i felt like Keanu Reevews character must have felt in Point Break (a movie that at one time was my all time favourite film).

The other guys were better, but not that good, but Elaine was the best of all of them, she managed to stand on her bioard and ride waves several times. All the guys loved it though and Ray, the cool Scottish guy, decided that from now on he would introduce himself to people as a California surfer (despite the fact that this is the only time he has ever surfed).

Despite the fact that i was awful at it, i expect that i will do this again. Theres a beach in Australia called "Surfers Paradise" and i expect that we will surf again then (or maybe before if we find somewhere suitable).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb