Los Angeles, the City of Fame, Fortune, and Famine


Advertisement
Published: September 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The City of Angels is a deceptively optimistic name for a place with one of the highest unemployment rates and poverty level for a metropolis in the United States. With a median family income of under $50K a year, but a median home value of $500K and the 9th highest cost of living in the country according to Kiplinger magazine, L.A. is anything but angelic. The melting pot that is this town makes it the most diverse city in the country and the 3rd most populous in the world, so get ready for heavy traffic congestion only nasal sprays can relieve and smog that rivals China's.

But the variety of citizens who inhabit this forsaken place also injects a certain character that is so quintessentially L.A. Couple that with great year-round weather, awesome proximity to the beach, and the occasional celebrity sighting and you've got a half-decent setting. Just don't expect the glamour you see in magazines or the action you see on the silver-screen because this city is merely relishing in Hollywood's Golden Age of the mid-20th century.

However, Los Angeles still has a lot to boast about. The food scene is very appetizing, the lifestyle is quite
Shin-Ya!!!Shin-Ya!!!Shin-Ya!!!

Firedip ramen
attractive, and the climate is always balmy. If you came here as a tourist, you'll soon wish you were a resident, but only on the outskirts of town away from the Bloods and Crips; if Snoop Dogg didn't scare you with his lyrics, a short visit downtown certainly will. So do some crunches and pack an empty stomach because this tour of the city focuses on food and the areas surrounding L.A.

While it may be shady and unappealing, the downtown area still warrants a quick pass-by. Here, you'll find Philippe's (1001 N. Alameda St) serving its legendary French-dip sandwiches with their famous mustard sauce. My opinion is that they're overrated, but you must still try them nonetheless. After lunch, walk south towards Olvera St, a Mexican-themed road full of stalls and souvenir stands. A quick 5-minute drive further south finds you in Little Tokyo for a little cheap shopping, then go to Frances (404 E. 2nd St) for some amazing cronuts, the offspring of a croissant and a donut. Make sure you call the bakery in advance and reserve a few because they sell out quickly.

Now make your way to Hollywood in the north and drive
Getty VillaGetty VillaGetty Villa

The gardens and pool
by the favorite celebrity hangout on Sunset Blvd, but don't bother spending too long hoping for a Bieber sighting. Continue east towards Hollywood Blvd and park at the Highland Mall near the TCL Chinese Theater (7000 Hollywood Blvd). This is the western end of the Walk of Fame, so take a little time to find your favorite celebrity's star. Most of the popular stars are located near the theater and you'll encounter many street performers along the way. Nearby is a great ramen restaurant called Shin-Ya!!! (1655 N. La Brea Ave) where their fireball dip is amazing. Finish your night by going to Universal City Walk, a glorified outdoor mall with plenty of restaurants and shops to keep you busy for an hour or two.

Venture away from downtown L.A. to the surrounding beach towns of Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice Beach. While Malibu is a playground for the rich and famous, there is a free exhibit (requires advanced ticket reservations online) that suits all wallets called the Getty Villa (17985 Pacific Coast Hwy). It's a gorgeous building atop a hill overlooking the beach full of art, statues, and architecture paying homage to the Romans. After a good 2
TCL Chinese TheaterTCL Chinese TheaterTCL Chinese Theater

Western end of the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Hollywood
to 3 hours roaming the gardens and vibrant flora, drive along the coast towards Santa Monica and have lunch at Wahoo's Fish Tacos (418 Wilshire Blvd) for some delicious Mexican food. Then walk a few blocks to the famous 3rd Street Promenade where the cool sea breeze makes shopping much more pleasant. Keep walking south towards the Santa Monica Pier where your inner child is awakened with fumes of funnel cake, dipping dots, fried Oreos, and a creaky Ferris Wheel that may dislodge at any moment.

If you have time, rent a bike and make your way to Venice Beach, which was something Kristina and I wished we had done but couldn't. If you find yourself in Venice, make sure to visit the boardwalk populated by potheads, Muscle Beach that Schwarzenneger's biceps made famous, and the Canals Walkway reconstructed to resemble the Venice in Italy but never came to fruition.

Instead of visiting Venice Beach, we instead opted to drive the 50 minutes south to Anaheim to visit a friend. Luckily, the friend lived near downtown Disney, which is where we finished the night. Don't be fooled by its name because this downtown area is anything but Disney; besides a couple statues and a gift shop, the magic was certainly not abound at this attraction, so walk around for 30 minutes and go home to watch Mickey Mouse on DVD.

While in Anaheim, we took advantage of its close proximity to the biggest Vietnamese community in America and went to Garden Grove for the famous pork spring rolls at Brodard Chateau (9892 Westminster Ave). Expect a long wait if you arrive during dinnertime, so to calm your hunger while waiting, go next door to 85oC Bakery for some sweet treats. End your trip on a culinary high note because in a city full of poverty and pollution, one of its few beauties resonates in the cuisine, so visit L.A. if solely for that reason.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Shin-Ya!!!Shin-Ya!!!
Shin-Ya!!!

Pork ramen
Wahoo's TacosWahoo's Tacos
Wahoo's Tacos

Fish tacos


Tot: 0.442s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 58; dbt: 0.069s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb